1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Broadband!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by kkre4605, Mar 3, 2007.

1. kkre4605

kkre4605 Regular member

Okay I am currently on 4Mb a month for £25 with telewest/virgin (expensive I know) and will be cancelling it soon after the vrigin media/sky fiasco. I was considering getting the 16MB sky for £10 a month, but have heard this is supposed to be really poor.

So I was just wondering:
    1) Which broadband providers/speed do you guys use?
    2) How much does it cost?
    3) Is it good on live, without lag?

2. JoshyBoy

JoshyBoy Regular member

i am in EXACTLY the same predicament lol... any advice guys???

3. kkre4605

kkre4605 Regular member

4. n0b

n0b Member

Hello,

I'm on BT total Broadband 8Mb for £22 a month.

They offer unlimited downloads as well as long as you are fair (i.e downloading big files at night , not using P2p programs all the time ect.).It can take up to ten days for the connection to became really stable but we live around 1 mile from the exchange so it's pretty good speed and stable.

If your paying less than £20 a month chances are your limited to how much you can download each month and may be charged extra for every GB you go over. You can check by reading the fair usage policy ISP''s usually have on there package pages.

If you live very close to an exchange you can get up to 24Mb with some ISP's.

5. n0b

n0b Member

P.S Also, if you want to play games online then upstream (upload speed) is more important than download speed.The best upload speeds at the moment are around 1.3 Mb. Obviously having a fast download speed is nice but at the moment 4-8Mb is more than enough for most people i.e streaming video,audio,websites, big downloads ect

Also,See what the minimum contract (try to get a short term one like 3 months to begin with) and terms are as most ISP's need notice if you decide to leave and some charge you.

6. kkre4605

kkre4605 Regular member

nice one nob, (funny name btw lol!), I knew about the upload thing with gaming, and the sky package has over 700KB/s upload and unlimted 16mb download usage per month, for just £10, but like I said they have had problems with it beiong hit and miss, and its minimum 12month contract.

Can I ask if I ask a company how far I live from an exchange will they be able to tell me?

7. n0b

n0b Member

Yeah, they could.

I found this obscure website that has exchange info on it.Just enter your tel no and it should tell you were yours is.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/phoneno.php

I live about a mile or two away from mine and speeds quite good.I'm on 8Mb and i get about 6.5Mb or 7Mb at night when less people are on.

So if you lived close to your exchange you could probably get 12-14Mb depending on how much of the exchange BT let Sky use and how many people Sky have put on that exchange.

It's a good offer by Sky (I don't have Sky TV so i can't get it) but can they keep it up.I don't like there terms and conditions though.

Also who would get the Sky Connect 8mb package? It's more expensive then the Max 16mb and it has restrictions!!

You should try to see as many opinions on the service as possible.

Are they strict on downloading (i.e p2p) and do they limit the speed of heavy users? (traffic shaping)

If you want to leave what are the conditions?

Whats customer service like? (most isp's are terrible)

Standard of the supplied equipment like is it wireless,router,modem,security if wireless

Basically i use BT cause they control the exchanges so connections always going to be stable unlike some ISP's.Price is okayish as well.I've never had a problem.

I might switch sometime to Be Broadband which is supposed to be very good although they just got taken over by Orange so I'll wait and see if things go downhill first.

8. GCFANATIC

GCFANATIC Member

take my advice kkre4605,

have a look on ebay for ntl modem, you basically want the modified surfboard 4100, this is umlocked for ntl/virgin media and has top notch software with it,

simply plug it into your existing cable socket and bang you are away

link it to your pc and type 192.168.100.1 this is where you can alter/adjust your configuration.

i still pay for 2 meg but recieve 10 meg, my advice ? pay a little recieve a lot.

9. kkre4605

kkre4605 Regular member

wow, really, surely they can trace that you are doing that! Is this what you are talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorola-Surf...ryZ61822QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW do you have more information on this as I did a google search and nothing relevant comes up?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  10. GCFANATIC

GCFANATIC Member

correct.

got mine last week and the system learned 10 mac addresses automatically
    you dont have to pay but i only think its fair to pay a little and recieve a lot.

360 games from the usenet now take one hour 40 to come down*

cannot be detected

fantastic bit of kit i bought mine from a guy in skinninggrove (uk) from ebay but that one there is the same piece of kit currently downloading at 1.18 MB per second

*you must own the original.

11. GCFANATIC

GCFANATIC Member

if you want more information ask seller a question.

12. kkre4605

kkre4605 Regular member

can I ask one more question, I have a 4MB connection, so if I were to get this kit, would I still have a 10mb, connection, if that is the case maybe its best to go to 2mb connection, but does that package not have usage restrictions?

And again a link on some more info would be great dude?

13. bremner

bremner Member

I had sky max installed last saturday and i wasnt to happy with it at first so i rang sky to complain and i was put thru to tech support. They told me the usual bullsh*t check all cables etc and to use the supplied micro filters instead of my existing ones. Using skys microfilters worked a charm heres the history of my download speeds...

Current line speed - Approx 6mb

January - Provider= seriouslyinternet - Download speed in newsleecher= 450kbps

Febuary - Provider= Sky - Download speed in newsleecher = 1-5 kbps

After changing microfilters - Download speed in newsleecher 900-950kbps

I am on the max package 16meg but my line will only allow 6meg

Also dont forget when you sign up with sky for "UNLIMITED" broadband on the max package there in a "FAIR USAGE POLICY" so far I've downloaded around 60gig in 8 days and havent heard from them yet.

Cheers

14. kkre4605

kkre4605 Regular member

If you can only get 6mb speed, how in the world are you getting up to 9.5-10mb speed lol! Yeah I guess you are one of the lucky fellas that got their broadband to work with sky, it is a risk due to the amount of the complaints, and for £10 I might risk it, (but I will do a bit of research in this 4100 board first!)

The thing that annoys me is that I play my 360 at random times and mostly play with americans, coz not being funny in my experience, most american gamers just run at you in online shooters which is what I do, but brits mainly just camp their ass off, (eg, had 5 draws in a row in GOW yesterday and I died in the first minute of every game but had to watch one guy just sit in a spot for the whole game every round)

Anyway, back to my point, lol, for some reason my connection never likes playing with americans, I mean in the GRAW2 demo I was jumping around like a monkey, which really sucked as that is my favourite game franchise, so I wanna get my connection sorted asap!

15. GCFANATIC

GCFANATIC Member

even if you dont pay for your b'band you still get 10 meg.

10 meg is the standard for virgin and ntl now as long as you have a live wire it will recieve 10 meg.

kkre4605 please ask seller a question for more information, talking about this on forums is 'skating on thin ice'

pay a little recieve a lot.

16. kkre4605

kkre4605 Regular member

oh, sorry dude, don't wanna get you in trouble, my bad! But cheers for the info, you've put me in a dilemma now, but a good one I suppose. I'll research it in the next few days!

Thanks again!

17. n0b

n0b Member

As much as i hate ISP's stealing a connection and bandwidth isn't right.They can see your IP address so i doubt they would take it for long.

For instance what would happen if you download too much.They limit your speed and then see your not even paying for it!

18. GCFANATIC

GCFANATIC Member

not when the software clones somebody else's mac address who is on 10 meg my friend,

a little thought sometimes goes a long way.

19. n0b

n0b Member

Hmmm.......... well i sure they will latch on eventually

20. dsdavis6

dsdavis6 Regular member

using someone elses mac address doesnt mean that you cant get caught for ilegal downloads though does it?

i use tiscali 2mb atm and i have no problems on xbox live although i still itend to upgrade to 8mb which is £3 more at 17.99 purely for downloading as like i said xbox live is fine. the only thing is if u use it excessivley between 6pm and 11pm they get kinda pissed but as long as u dont go hosting huge games or anything like that generally it seems ok