1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK PAL on US NTSC PS2 - Squished Ratio? Patch fix? Lagging Games?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Wallyman, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Wallyman

Wallyman Member

Finally got my hands on a pair of UK games (WRC3 and Colin McRae 04) and using Swap Magic 3.3 DVD loader I can get them both to boot (although Colin locks ont he Dolby if you don't hit start immediately, odd) and play but in both cases the screen is out of proportion.. Width is pretty close (offset down and right, fixable via game screen centering) but the height is off, it's too tall. The analog Tachometer should be round but it's a oval.. I bet I need to squish (on a 27" TV) about 1.5-2" to get it back to 4:3 ratio..

I've yet to patch the games (probably try that tonight using these instructions - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/121718) but I don't read anywhere about the heigth, just off-center.

Seeing that PAL is 720x576 and NTSC 720x480 I'm assuming that the problem is those extra 96 lines I can't show, right?

So, the answer is going to be a hardware box to convert, right?

Also, I've read that the lag in Colin McRae could be from the conversion, possible?

I'm finding Patches, PPF files, fixes, etc etc and it's all bloody confusing...

Thanks.

2. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

Those probably can't be patched. Later versions of those games can't be patched, so I'm guessing those can't be patched either. Even if patching is successful, you still wont get the full picture, as the PAL signal uses more lines of resolution. If you want the entire picture to be displayed, your best bet is to buy a tv that accepts the PAL and NTSC signals.

3. Wallyman

Wallyman Member

UGH - not the answer I wanted. So all the Y-fixes and what not are for moving the screen around (centering), and not to resize, right? If that's the case, I wonder if one of the $20 PAL to NTSC PS2 converters are worthwhile or if they are going to give me the same results. Not even sure where I'd scare up an NTSC/PAL TV. I've debated the logic of buying a projector for games/movies.. wonder if that would get me working.

Side question - What if I run my PS2 into my PC via the video capture card? I wonder if I'll get the full 576 lines? Not ideal, actaully a crappy solution, but it gets me closer. Don't erally want to do this but might try it for giggles.

Side question #2 - what about a PS2-VGA converter? Do they scale/upconvert the NTSC output and make it right for VGA resolution?

Wallyman

4. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

I recommend www.planetomni.com/Prod_MSTV.shtml for a great selection of multisystem tv's. They are located in the U.S. I would recommend this tv.

[​IMG]

It accepts the PAL and NTSC signals.

www.planetomni.com/MSTV_SONY_kv-ar29m81_DTL.shtml

The plug for these tv's wont fit into an american electical outlet. So you will need to buy an adapter like this one:

[​IMG]

www.bombayelectronics.com/Transformers/adapters.html

Look at the first entry - "Plug for USA". This is what it looks like. Just insert the plug of the multisystem tv into the adapter and then you will be able to plug the tv into the american wall socket. As you see it's only $.99. The one I saw at Radio Shack was like $4.99 or something.

Then just hook up the red, white, and yellow video cables from your usa ps2 into the multisystem tv. Select PAL as the video signal when playing PAL games or NTSC when playing NTSC games.