1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ulead or TMPGENC

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by DrDVD, Sep 18, 2002.

1. DrDVD

DrDVD Member

I have Ulead MSP 6.5. The maximum PAL/DVD encoding bit rate is CBR:6000. TMPGENC allows upto CBR:8000 for PAL/DVD.
    Part 1: I have encoded using TMPGENC and ULEAD S/W understands the format without a problem. The first question is: Apart from the bit rate is anyone aware of any other advantages to using one over the other.
    Part 2: Ulead authoring will save the files only if you wish. So I can get the IFO,BUP and VOB files OK. However, Ulead also offer me the option to burn, using their own software or NTI. The second question is: Is it better to burn from Ulead or should I use my standalone burning program which is NERO?
    Sure I can try it and maybe I won't even notice the difference, but for you 'guys and gals' out there that understand exactly what happens I would be grateful for your preference.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2002
  2. DrDVD

DrDVD Member

Somebody must have a view!!!

3. trev

trev Member

I use both of them. I encode to mpeg2 using TMPGenc Plus in 2-pass VBR. I would suggest that if you want the best possible quality, render with the VBR (Variable Bit Rate) 2 Pass option. It will take longer since it does 2 passes on your movie, but the quality is really good. I use this for my SVCDs too and it's much better than CBR -- Constant Bitrate. Just my .02.

Cheers!

4. DrDVD

DrDVD Member

Trev,

Thanks for the info. I have tried it and it works fine. Just a final question. What do you set as the maximum VBR. UleadMSP sets it at 6000, but TMPGenc sets it at 8000?

5. Jake

Jake Active member

If you want good quality DVD´s, use something about 4000-6000 VBR. I think that´s enought??

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Obviously the ABR (as in Average BitRate) is the determining factor when you encode -- how much minutes you want to shrink into specific amount of mega/gigabytes. If that is wouldn't be an issue, then everybody would use the max bitrate what you can get, encoding everything with >8Mbps CBR.