1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UMD never loads: Freezes, and hangs. Bottom right loading icon. :-(

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by pspftw, Feb 12, 2007.

1. pspftw

pspftw Member

Hello. I posted this on another forum already, but it's not nearly as busy as AfterDawn.

I'm hoping someone has had the same issue as me. It's really starting to get on my nerves. :) I'll be as detailed as possible:

I have a PSP here, firmware version 3.10 OE-A'. It was originally 2.6, upgraded to 2.71, down to 1.5, then to 3.10 OE-A. Not a firmware related problem since the issue occurred in all firmwares. Now the problem:

When I insert a UMD, all I get is the circle loading icon in the bottom right corner. I can briefly hear the disc spin up for about 2 seconds, then stop. Laser is putting out, but the lens never moves from side to side. After the disc stops, I'm still stuck at the loading icon. UMD is never recognized, and never loads. Loading Icon just stays there unless I eject the disc to go into the XMB. I'm leaning toward a bad worm drive motor, but I don't know...

Here is what I've tried so far:

I've cleaned the lens properly, tried multiple different UMDs with the same result, tried a total of 3 (supposedly bad, but I adjusted the laser a little) UMD drives with the same result. Maybe all 3 worm drive motors are bad? I've also tried manually moving the lens on all 3 UMD drives from side to side, and no luck. Is there a motherboard issue which causes this problem? It's a TA-081. Truly the PSP from hell!

So, I'm just wondering if anyone's found a solution to the same issue as me. I'm really hoping for a do it yourself solution, since the system was purchased used / broken. Not looking for "Send it to Sony", or anything like that. Thanks ahead of time for any replies, and sorry for the long post!

2. pspftw

pspftw Member

Anyone? :(

3. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

buy a new laser and install it using the guides.

sounds like it's fubared if it happened on all ur firmwares.

4. pspftw

pspftw Member

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure it's not the laser. One of the three drives I had (lasers are putting out) should've at least made some noise.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007