1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UMDA problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by cateye4k, Apr 11, 2004.

1. cateye4k

cateye4k Member

Hi,

i ll really appreciate ur help, coz i have really tried everything. I bought a Samsung SP1614N 160 GB Hdd. I have a Syntax SV266a mother board. My computer only recognize my hdd in PIO mode, which is very strange coz i have all other devices like other Hdd and DVD rom are running in UMDA mode. My system operates very slow coz of PIO mode of my new Hdd. I tried to change PIO to UDMA from bios but options there only lets me either disable DMA mode or make it auto. I have tried to unstall IDE channel and even Via master bus controller coz someone suggested that when i restart my computer everything would be reinstalled itself and the problems would be corrected as well but nothing changes. My hdds are conneted through separate cables. I have reinstalled the latest motherboard drivers, did hdd test suggested by manufacturers. The test states that UMDA-133 is functioning properly but nothing changes. I have tried everything, even bought another cable which supports UDMA, but nothing seems to work. I use windows XP professional edition. I really dont know what to do. I have tried everything. Pls help.

2. hubo-goss

hubo-goss Guest

See if the 80 pins cable is well plugged

Blue connector on the mother board!

3. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,
    That is going to cause you problems straight away:

Ok, they are real cheap, but quality and stability issues are rife!!!

Bios setting for DMA should be left on AUTO (this only has effect UNTIL Windows loads).

UDMA should be set from within Windows, the BIOS has NO effect once the low-level Windows drivers are loaded.

I have found the gretest level of stability from Syntax boards by doing the following:

Install Windows - DO NOT install motherboard drivers for IDE.

Install the latest VIA 4-in-1 driver package, then re-boot.

Install all OTHER drivers as needed (DO NOT install IDE DRIVERS).

If Windows is not in UDMA mode after re-boot then suspect the motherboard.

Another possibility is, Syntax M/Bs are noted for being "fussy" about RAM, and can throw all sorts of weird errors, even though the memory "seems" ok...

Don't skimp on motherboard quality, as it is one of the most important foundations upon which your system depends...

Hope this helps...