1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Un-Moded PS2 Plays back up cds but not dvd

Discussion in 'PS2' started by sigare, Mar 27, 2005.

1. sigare

sigare Member

Well after posting in the dvd back-up section the other day and being told doing the swap trick while the drive was still spinning is bad (which i do know was using my only ps2 at the time yesterday got a version 4 that needed a little repair and now works), he did say to try and use the MCexploit, and cogswap.

Still being generaly new at all this i went out with my 10 page list and picked up 4 ps1 games that the exploit i got would work with. As all my ps1 games were my old back ups that i made long ago to play on my pc.

Now tried using cdloader and that got me no where. I can use the exploit to load cdloader then boot ups snes-station but that is too many steps when i can just use the exploit and boot snes-station. So i burned a version of cogswap off of swapmagicfix.com (not sure if that is the exact site of not) and tired that.

So far my back up of ssx works which is a cd based game there are alot of steps involved but compared to using the AR MAX EVO and haveing the disc still spining it is worth it. I am sure the process is the same no matter what but here is the way i am getting it to boot.

Load in madden 98 as my exploit cd.
    Then sawp that out for my cogswap cd.
    Ru the boot.elf off the disc cogswap loads.
    Once loaded i press eject on the system and put in my madden 2001 ps2 cd (could use my original ssx cd but why LOL).
    Cogswap reconizes it as a ps2 cd.
    Press O on the ps2 controler and it says something like use cogswap.
    With my slide card switch out for my ssx back up.
    Press x and it loads up fine.

Now how can i make this work with DVD back ups is my question. Do i have to find a cogswapdvd program (if one does exists). very content to just use back up cds as they are much cheaper. As well as i am going to buy a mod chip for my other ps2 now that i have 2 and posibly some more on the way. I dont have the swap magic discs as my wife wont let me spend the money on them yet LOL, and on swapmagicfix.com it says for dvd games to load magic dvd disc.

Any help or an easier way to get my cds booting would be great.

Thanx,
    Chris

2. r0c0

r0c0 Guest

well u have to put cogswaploader(ELF file) on ur memorycard ... cdloader doesnt work well from memorycard ....
    load cogswaploader , press eject , PUT IN A ORIGINAL PS2 DVD (biggest as possible like gta/devil may cry)) , press x , swap with ur backup dvd.
    oh yea , if cogswap loads from the mc , u can swap right away with any ps2 cd backup or homebrew stuff like snesstation cd

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2005
  3. sigare

sigare Member

Sounds good. Gonna try and burn a couple different dvd games and see if i can get it going that way then.

The biggest dvd game i have is gta vice city. CD based games seem to work no fail at this point.

Thanx for the tip

4. sigare

sigare Member

Well r0c0 you were right. Loaded up cogswaploader put in GTA Vice City pressed O on the controler slide swaped my burnt dvd and away i have been going... so far only disc not to play was ssx tricky.

But i didnt use the same method i have been using to burn that disc so hopefully i am on the right track and can worry less about my wifes little brother messing up my main discs.

Thanks again for the tip

5. r0c0

r0c0 Guest

yea u can do it your way too but it saves a lot of work if cogswap loads from the memorycard , like i use launchelf , first i trigger the exploit then i get the launchelf menu and have cogswap booting automaticly ( after 5 sec).so all i do is put in a dvd , press x , swap with backup dvd