1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unabale to erase DVD+RW disc

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by valpatel, Apr 1, 2007.

1. valpatel

valpatel Member

Hi,

I succesfully burn a slideshow using Nero V7 on DVD+RW disc on my Windows pc using HP dvd200e writer. The format used for burning was DVD-ROM.

Later I tried to use the same DVD+RW disc to burn the same slideshow with changes. The program asked me to erase the disc before burning. I said YES. The program bombed out half way through. Then I tried to just erase the disc using Nero 7's erase feature. The program did a little erasing and then stopped with an error saying it can't erase.

Please let me know if DVD+RW disc can be erased after burning DVD-ROM format on it? If it can be, please let me know how to do that.

Thanks and regards,

Val Patel

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

DVD-ROM is the correct format to use; this refers to the disk format, not to the type of disk.

Are you trying Quick Erase or Full Erase? (If the former, try the latter).

Reasons why a DVD-RW cannot be erased can be that the disk is of low quality, or damaged in some way, for example if it has a scratch or scratches, or if it is dirty, or if it has already been used many times. It could just be a bad disk. They don't last forever, and they need more careful handling and storage (cool place, out of direct sunlight).

3. valpatel

valpatel Member

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The DVD+RW disc having the problem is a brand new disc burned only once before. Also, it is a high quality disc made by Verbatim.

I did try to erase both ways, the quick way and the full way. But no luck. It could be that my three year old HP DVD200e writer is marginal. Although It does not seem to have a problem burning a brand new DVD+RW disc once. If I know for sure it's the drive, I don't mind replacing it. Is there a test to determine the drive is working properly?

Regards,

Val

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I suppose a three year old drive may be marginal. My LG GSA-4160B is two-and-a-half years old, has mainly been used for burning and erasing RW disks, and still works fine, and I have no worries about it at this time. The BTC writer I had before is coming up to 5 years old and still works fine, but is rather slow by modern standards (4x max).

If you have (or can get) another RW disk, which you don't mind erasing, you could try Nero CD-DVD Speed (assuming you have the Nero Tools), which will show if burn errors are plentiful, and, incidentally, will show you if the drive is still capable of fully erasing a DVD-RW.

You could try erasing the disk in a friend's computer to see if the disk is capable of being erased.

Even with Verbatim, the possibility of a bad disk is still there. Does the store where you bought the disk have a policy of exchanging, or refunding the price of faulty disks?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  5. valpatel

valpatel Member

Hi,

In Microsoft Explorer right cliking property on the drive, I was able to erase the disc in quick and full modes using HP DLA software. Now I can drag files onto it and it works. But when I go to Nero 7 for writing data, the nero does not recognize the disc.

So, some progress but no cigar. Maybe you can suggest something.

Thanks,

Val

6. valpatel

valpatel Member

Hi,

A little breakthrough! I removed the DLA checkmark and I was able to use Nero 7 to write data.

So, what I learn is when Nero can't erase the disc, try using HP DLA to do it, and it may take care of the problem!

Regards,

Val

Val

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

HP's DLA is packet writing software, actually by Veritas, similar in function to Nero's INCD I think. I have had nothing but trouble with InCD, which i removed, so I am not surprised that you found a problem. Good luck for the future, and it has been a pleasure conversing with you.

Best wishes,

Indochine.

8. valpatel

valpatel Member

Hi,

How did you remove INCD from Nero? If you remove INCD, what other functionality is lost besides earsing/formating?

Thanks for all your help.

Val

9. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

InCD gives you "drive letter access" to an RW disk. That is, you can treat it just like a hard drive, or a gigantic floppy disk. You can format it with a file system, copy files to and from it by dragging and dropping, or by cutting and pasting in Windows Explorer, or by using the command line. If InCD, or HP's DLA, were disabled, you would have to use Nero Burning ROM to erase the disks, and the only way to get files onto the disk would be to burn them either in sessions or a whole disk at a time.

Are you sure you are running InCD?

You should not have had it running at the same time as HP's DLA, in any case. Various kinds of conflicts can occur.

InCd is launched during the boot process of Windows from the registry.
    To disable it, just goto Start > Run , type Msconfig and from there uncheck Incd.exe from the list. Reboot Windows and InCD will not load with Windows.

You can uninstall it altogether from the Control Panel, the Add/Remove Programs section. Then reboot as before.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  10. valpatel

valpatel Member

I just looked. No, I don't have InCD on my system.

Question: Can HP DLA cause conflict with Nero v7? I use Nero for so many things. If HP DLA (or other HP stuff) cause conflicts, I don't mind removing the HP stuff?

Thanks,

Val

11. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Any packet writing software can upset a burning program. Some people hate programs like InCD, DLA, etc, like the plague. I have had InCD on my system, and it did not seem to stop me using Nero Burning ROM. However, I may just have been lucky. If you don't particularly need it, remove it, is my advice. It has already stopped you erasing an RW disk.