1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to burn an avi of 580MB with Nero 6.6

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by stibi, Feb 3, 2008.

1. stibi

stibi Regular member

I have a movie in the form of avi. It's size was 700MB and it's length 3:00:53,25 hours; however, after embedding subtitles with VirtualDub (as explained in http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/12/14/how-to-add-and-burn-subtitles-to-avi-permanently/)
    it size became 1.15GB (of cours it's length remained as it was, namely 3:00:53,25 hours). Hence I splitted the said avi in two avi files : The first's size is 581MB and legth 1:28:38,88 and the second's size is 605MB and legth 1:32:09,45.
    However, when I tried to burn any of the two avi files (as data)with Nero 6.6.0.1 on a regular DVD disc (which's capacity is supposed to be 120 minutes/4.7GB) there appeared the following message :"Your compilation cannot be writen on this kind of disc. Please insert a disc of the correct type or modify the settings of your compilation to make competible with the current disc." Moreover, I burned the whole avi (before it's splitting) on Verbatim's Double Layer DVD+R (with capacity of 240 minutes/8.5GB; and I can play it on my PC, however in My XORO MPEG$/DVD/CD machine I see only "jumping" texts.
    Please help me to solve said problems. My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 and my Burner is Plextor DVDR PX-750A
    Thanks in advance
    stibi

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

If you want to keep it as an AVI, you'll have to burn it as a data and burn it to 2 CD's. If you want it DVD complaint, you will need to convert it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

in the nero wizard dont choose cdr choose dvdr project

4. stibi

stibi Regular member

Many thanks to dialysis1 and to Rotary for your prompt and (though partialy only) helpful answers.
    I acted as suggested by you and so far I had some strange experiences :- In Nero, I first tried to burn the whole avi file (i.e. 1.15 GB)as data choosing DVDR. To my surprise at the end of the said burning there appeared a message that the burning was successful; and, indeed, on my PC I was able to see and hear see the said file. However, when I tried to play it on my DVD machine, I saw the pictures "jumping" on the screen and didn't hear any voice. Next - after splitting the said avi file to two parts)- I burned the first part (again, as data and choosing DVDR),and I could see and hear it on my PC. However, when I tried to play it on my DVD machine, I saw again the pictures "jumping" on the screen, though this time I also heared the voices.

I haven't tried yet to convert the avi to DVD, to shrink it and then to burn it (now doubt I will notify you about the results after doing so).

Please, try to find out why I cann't play the above on my DVD machine (I should say that so far it never happened to me that I wasn't able to play burned avi files on my DVD machine.

Thanking in advance
    stibi

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You should not have to split the AVI, it doesn't matter the length in hr/minutes. it could be as long as 10hr, but if it is smaller than 4.3GB, all good, it will fit on your DVD-R.
    Is your Avi file PAL or NTSC? You can find out by loading it in GSpot for example.
    If you choose to convert to DVD, with DVD Flick for example, you should not need to hardcode the subtitles. You can have them as removable subtitles.
    What Divx DVD player do you have? I think most now accept subtitle files, so no need to harcode them at all. Just burn the original avi and the subtitles,with the same name, as data, .

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi cyp

yeah i keep looking at "dvd player" is mentioned hope its an xvid player too, good piont on pal or ntsc avi, just wondering also if the avi file is a standard avi or an odd one off bad file, yes plays on pc but pc's do tend to try play anything, where as players may struggle...

as you say that all other avi files play ok, just not this one.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Hi Rotary,
    He says he has an XORO, but don't know what model. I would think it should be able to handle subtitle files, so no need to embed.
    Could run the original Avi through Avifixed to chesck for any errors.

8. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi cyprusrom and Rotary and many thanks for your help.
    I thought, that where the length of an avi (or other) video file exceeds 120 minutes, I cannot burn it on one regular DVD media; and, as you can see from the answer of dialysis1, I am not the only one who thought so. Consequently, I thougt that if, for example, I have a DVD file of, let's say, 6GB, the length o which exceeds 120 minutes, there is no use of shrinking it. So, first of all you helped me by explaining that I can burn on one DVD media any avi video file (or, I suppose,any similar file or DVD), no matter how long it plays, provided it's smaler than 4.3 GB (by the way : why 4.3GB and not 4.7GB ?).
    Secondly, you helped me by drawing my attention to the existance of the Avifixed program. In addition, You taught me that I can find out whether a video file is Pal or NTSC by loading it in GSpot.

So, first of all I loaded the said avi file in GSpot, however, I didn't find there whether it is Pal or NTSC.
    Next, I used Avifixed to fix possible errors in the original avi file; though I couldn't know whether Avifixed actually found in it any error and fixed it, since Avifixed doesn't show it - am I right ?). Afterwards, I burned once more the above avi file. Unfortunately, it didn't help : I could play it in my PC, however in my Xoro HSD 4000 DVD machine the pictures were just "jumping". Then I tried to play the said disc on the PILOT dvd machine of one of my friends, and, to my surprise, there it played normaly.
    Pity that only at this stage I decided to change the TV SYSTEM settings of my DVD machine. The 3 options there are: NTSC, PAL and AUTO. Until now I used always the AUTO option, and I could watch DVDs from Europe as well as from the USA. So, now I have changed it to Pal, and I see the "problematic" disc playing normaly. It seems, therefore, that the AUTO option in the TV SYSTEM settings of XORO HSD 4000 doesn't funtion.
    Could you, please, inform me how can I send you a photocopy of the details shown by GSpot about the above mentioned avi file, and then to explain where exactly can I see (in the future) whether a certain avi is PalI or NTSC.
    As to your remark, that actually I should not need to hardcode the subtitles, as I can have them as removable subtitles: Indeed, at least I, with my Xoro HSD 4000 DVD player, have no problems using removable subtitles; hovever, in this specific case I wanted to lend the video file to two of my friends in the embeded form, since on their DVD players,they can watch burned videos, but without the removable subtitles.
    Thanks again
    stibi
    Thanks again
    stibi

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Here is where PAL/NTSC is shown in GSpot:

[​IMG]

Avifixed will show if it finds any errors.:

[​IMG]

Indeed, some systems are really picky about PAL/NTSC. Some are able to play both and adjust on the fly, depending on the source.
    Back to the size/duration of the movie. Some people look at the disc and it says 120 minutes, or whatever. Well, if you compress it enough(of course, with total disregard to quality) you could probably fit in 10 hr of movie.
    Why not 4.7GB? Well, that is not the real recording capacity. Some of the space is already pre-recorded,some is not available due to manufacturing errors...To be safe and not burn to close to the edge of the disc and ruin it, should not go for more than 4.3GB. With high quality media, TY or verbatim, I normally go upi to 4.4GB. Here some reading for you regarding this matter:

http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa6.htm

So I guess we figured all out and you're good to go?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  10. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi ciprusrom and thanks for your prompt respons with the useful informations.

Well, now I understand that in my original avi file there were no errors - or, at least, no errors Avifixed could find - and that's good.
    As to GSpot : In my case, neither NTSC nor Pal is highlited, which seems to me strange, since I suppose one of these should have been highlited.

I take this oportunity to ask you two other questions, hopping you don't mind :-
    1)How can one add hardcode and removable srt. or sub. subtitles to a DVD (I understand that VirtualDub works only with avi files); and if subtitles to DVD are of some diferent kind, is there some program similar to Subtitle Workshop for editing such subtitles ?
    2)Which high quality or at least good quality DVD media - in addition to Tayo Yuden and Verbatim can you recommend ?

Thanks in advance
    stibi

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Hmmm...if Pal/NTSC is not showing in GSpot, probably the video is encoded at a frame rate that does not really qualify as PAL or NTSC. Your player was however able to play it as PAL; this might be the reason why the automatic setting for your system did not work with this movie, it couldn't tell if it was PAL or NTSC because of the random frame rate that the video was encoded at. What is the frames/s showing in GSpot?

About the subtitles--do you already have a DVD and want to add embedded subtitles to it, or you have a video file(avi, mpeg..) and want to embed subtitles and then convert it to DVD, and add removable subtitles also?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  12. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi cyprusrom and thanks,

I ment adding subtitles where I have a DVD and not avi. Of course, I could first convert the DVD to avi, ad or embed subtitles and then convert the avi to DVD; however that's not the proper way.

Thanks in advance
    stibi

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

14. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi cyprusrom

Well, it seems to be much more complicated than adding subtitles to avi; however, I will have to try it.

Incidentally, what about my question : Which high quality or at least good quality DVD media - in addition to Tayo Yuden and Verbatim - can you recommend ?

Many thanks again
    stibi

Thanks again
    s

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Well, I would say after TY and Verbatim:
    Sony and Ricoh made media. If you keep an eye on Office Max, it has good sales for Verbatim, usually 100pk for $24.