1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to burn with DVD X Platinum with Sony Dual Layered DVD 16X RW

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by audioslv, Dec 3, 2004.

1. audioslv

audioslv Member

As of yesterday I was backing up my DVD's with DVD X Platinum on my PC with my Sony DVD RW DRU 510A. The only other software for CD/DVD that has been in my drive is that of Veritas (which came with the DVD RW drive).
    I swapped out the old DVD RW today for a Sony DVD Dual Layered RW 16X and installed Nero software that came with it. I was able to burn CD's, however when I tried to backup a DVD with Platinum, the software would freeze after 10 seconds of reading the DVD. I tried the different combinations of uninstalling/reinstalling the Platinum software (with/without the Nero software) with no success. Please help me out with this, as I have never had any problems with this before my new drive was installed.
    Thanks for whomever reads and responds to my frustrating situation,

Greg

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Greg, welcome to aD,

Well my friend, you have come across just one problem you'll encounter using a discontinued software. 321 stopped making their product almost a full year ago and research stopped before that.. DL products came out barely 6 months ago - Ahhhh, now you see the problem, Heh ?

Yep, it's not possible to have a product ready for technology that wasn't even released. The way of things is - something is invented then products are made to use them. It isn't possible to make a product ready to use something that doesn't exist.

Well, unless you have an older burner, made when XCopy was being made AND as long as you use DVD discs made when XCopy was in business you're SOL. No using 8X, 12X (or when they come out) 16X DVD discs, no DL discs and of course, not your current burner. :(

BUT, Because your our 1 quad-trillion-th visitor here at aD, you win, absolutely free of charge, a working link to a truly fabulously made guide that will show you how to make DVD backups using FREE software, yes, you heard me correctly, just for you, a way out into the wonderful world of DVD Backups using totally FREE, yes there Son, you heard me right, FREE software, as easy as XCopy, producing better quality backups than XCopy at nowhere near the cost of our dear departed XCopy. (gasping for air before going on in his best announcing voice.) Just follow the little bouncing link, well it was bouncing yesterday when we blew it up - "Yes Boy, I know it isn't bouncing, just pretend it is so I can get on with my announcing, YES, and 1/2 way down the page, I say boy, 1/2 way down the page the fountain of knowledge awaits your prying eyes -

Here it is, I say Boy, here it is, the link to the place that was (I mean, is) the most cherished guide on the net, written by a man who is so ahead of his time, he's been called, Harrumph, OK, let's not get into what he's been called - suffice to say it's a pretty good guide -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Ok, I say Greg, HEY GREG, have ya gone to sleep on me son, I should hope not, where is the guide son, I say son. . . . ., RIGHT YOU ARE ! It's 1/2 way down the page - your Mama's gonna ta be proud of ya son.

Now listen here - Ya'all come back and give us a report of your progress -

Well all right then, I'll be Seaaaa'n ya then, . . . .

Cheers

pete
    (Ok, there Don Pardo, eat your heart out . . . . .

somebody call 911, the ScubaPete's out-O-air . . . .

3. audioslv

audioslv Member

Pete,
    Thanks for the response and for the link that I look forward to checking out later this afternoon; once I am done with work.
    Obviously it is apparent that I have never come across the problem of "old software with new hardware", so what you stated makes exact sense.
    I will let you know how everything turns out,
    Greg