1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to get firmware for LVW 5005X?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by NickoMcB, Sep 13, 2005.

1. NickoMcB

NickoMcB Member

I went to LiteOn's website, put in my serial number(for just the 5005 no x) and it comes back as wrong serial. I'm trying to disable mv, and catfreaks suggestion on just turning on the recorder 1st for 10 seconds then the dvd didn't work. Anyone hack a LVW 5005X yet?

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Have you tried any of these sites?
     http://ilohacker.tripod.com/
     http://ncc2315.com/ilo/       Guitarman's excellent site - he's Gtrman here - PM him with questions
     http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102       great hints and tricks thread
     http://ccgi.mgillespie.plus.com/liteon/smf/

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  3. NickoMcB

NickoMcB Member

Yea nobody has the firmware for a 5005x to hack in the first place. I guess I just have to wait a bit for one to come out.

4. GotSilk

GotSilk Member

I seems to me that someone in a previous post said something to the effect that all you needed to do to defeat M.V. was to hit record with the tray open and disc in; a few seconds before the movie starts and wala no M.V. I don't if that really works, but you can give it try just to see for yourself. Also be careful in using so called M.V. hacks as they have been known to screw up DVD recorders if applied incorrectly.

5. NickoMcB

NickoMcB Member

no dice, it won't even do anything with the tray still open...

6. catfreak

catfreak Active member

What I posted in other threads (and I'll repost here) is: To defeat Macrovision on my LVW-5005 recorders is: First I start the recorder recording before I start the source .. Example . If I want to duplicate a DVD, I insert a DVD in the source and let it cycle until it comes to the menu. Then I start my recorder recording for about 5-10 seconds. I then start the source DVD. For a VHS, I press play on the VCR and then pause the tape . Then I start recording on the DVD recorder again for 5-10 seconds . I then press play on the VCR. This method has yet to fail for me on either of my recorders.

7. NickoMcB

NickoMcB Member

It doesn't work on mine, I tried it a couple of times exactly as you said, even letting it run for 20 seconds before turning on the dvd, still no luck..

8. btjorgens

btjorgens Member

The firmware for the 5005x was posted on 10/13/2005 on the liteonamericas we site: http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download_dvd.htm

This page does not ask for serial numbers.

The full link for the new file is:
    http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/Download/CE_firmware/5005X/LNFC1101.ES0

I was able to download the new file, copy it to a cdr-r and upgrade my 5005x. I found that you must navigate to the LiteOn logo screen using the 'source' button on the remote or front panel to get the 5005x to recognize the upgrade CD.

After doing so, I was dissapointed to discover that 3 hour (LP) recording mode was not enabled.

I've been using my 5005x to copy tapes made with my old Video8 camcorder to DVD+R, so I started a copy session to see how it looked. The 5005x locked up 5 minutes into the process. After a powercycle, the DVD was not recognized and was thus added to my growing 'coaster' collection.

I then visited Mr. Wizard's site http://ilohacker.tripod.com/ and downloaded the ilo hacker utility and used it to patch the firmware file to disable macrovision and enable 3 hr record mode. After burning to disk, I upgraded my 5005x successfully. Per the recomendations on Mr. Wizard's, I restored the config to factory defaults both before and after the upgrade. To restore defaults, go to Setup->System->Default->Restore.

I've confirmed that 3 hour record mode is now available.

I started the recording the same Video8 tape as before to DVD+R using 2 hour (SP) mode and let it run until the disk became full. I wanted to see if the new firmware handled the full disk issue. No Joy. When the DVD becomes full, the 5005x hangs at the stopping stage. I've had better luck previously copying to DVD+RW and then copying this disk to DVD+R. DVD+RW doesn't need to be finalized.

I suspect that some of the issues I was having with recording on the 5005x were related to breaks in the video being falsely categorized as Macrovision copy protection frames. I'll need to do more testing before I know if the hacked FW with Macrovision disabled helps.

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

It seems that the 5005x has some issues that the 5005 didn't have. Using a DVD+R, I have no problem running the disc all the way to the end. The disc stops and DVD is full is displayed on the TV screen. I then finalize the disc and everything is just fine. It was that way on both of my recorders and since I updated the firmware on the older one to match the newer one, I can now exchange unfinalized discs also. For some reason, neither drive ever recognized Macrovision, and I made sure not to U/D my firmware too far. As far as 3 hr mode, I never bothered with it.

I guess what I'm getting at is that after Christmas I was planning on purchasing another. I will make sure NOT to get a 5005x. I also plan to downgrade my F/W to match my other two.

10. fonzfree

fonzfree Member

11. fonzfree

fonzfree Member

Sorry, here's how my last post should have looked:

Can some please provide more details on how to update the 5005X firmware? I also have an LVW-5001 and it recognizes the CD-R and the firmware file just fine, but when I put the updated 5005X firmware file on CD-R into the 5005X, the unit just says "no disc". I tried going to the logo screen, but it didn't work or I didn't do something in exactly the right order. If you can provide any details on the specific steps or any other ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

12. fonzfree

fonzfree Member

This is so weird. I had tried loading my CD-R and a CD-RW several times with no luck. I had the CD-RW in the drive and the screen saver was going. I hit the eject button to eject the disc and then reloaded it again. Bingo! It actually worked this time. The only difference this time was that the screen saver had been on. I don't know if that's what others have meant by the logo/splash screen, but it amazingly worked. Thank you!

13. btjorgens

btjorgens Member

This is what I found I needed to do:

1) power on the 5005x
    2) enter display mode by pressing 'display' on the remote.
    3) navigate to the 'logo screen' using 'source' on the remote
    4) open the tray with 'open/close' on the remote.
    5) insert the CD-R disk with the LNFC1101.ESO file on it.
    6) close the tray with 'open/close' on the remote.

The front panel display will flash 'LOAD' and then change to 'F-UP 0101'. At the same time the message 'System will be upgraded. Press Ok to proceed or Cancel to abort. OK CANCEL'

7) select 'OK' with the arrow keys on the remote.
    8) press 'enter' on the remote.

The front panel display will change to 'A-UP NUM', where num starts at 00 and increments to 99 as the upgrade proceeeds. A warning is display on the screen at this point to let the upgrade proceed normally and not to interrupt it.

After the upgrade completes, a message is displayed to 'Power Off the unit and restart it.' If I remember correctly, the tray is ejected for you.

9) power off the 5005x using the 'power' button on the remote.
    10) power on the 5005x using the 'power' button on the remote.

You will probably need to rescan your TV channels and some other settings after powering the upgrade.

Prior to the upgrade, my serial number read:
    0107 1840 0098 G2BD (108-010D)

After the upgrade, my serial number read:
    0107 1840 0101 G2BD (100-010D)

After hacking the file with Mr. Wizard's tool and performing the upgrade again, my serial number read:
    0107 1840 0101 G2BD (000-010D)

14. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Did the Macrovision hack work with the 0101 firmware? On my 5005, I had to downgrade back to 0098 to disable Macrovision (no hack necessary)

15. btjorgens

btjorgens Member

I hadn't tried explicitly attempting to copy something with 0098. With the hacked 0101 firmware, pressing the record button with 'Prince of Egypt' playing on the VCR into the AV1 inputs on the 5005x shows 'Protected Content' and does not start recording.

If I record 20 seconds of TV and then press play on the VCR, the 5005x starts recording, but within about 5 seconds, the 'Protected Content' message appears again and recording stops.

I bought my 5005x to record TV and to help copy my Video8 collection to DVD. I really don't care if Macrovision is disabled unless MV detection erroneously screws up my ability to use it.

16. fonzfree

fonzfree Member

catfreek, do you have the 5005 or the 5005X?

17. fonzfree

fonzfree Member

btjorgens, is the 0098 for the 5005X? Where can I download it?

18. btjorgens

btjorgens Member

fonzfree, my 5005x had 0098 on it when I bought it. To my knowledge, 0101 is the first firmware that LiteOn has released for the 5005x.

19. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I have two 5005 recorders but, as far as I understand, the firmware in interchangeable

20. NickoMcB

NickoMcB Member

btjorgens,

so the hack didn't disable mv? What about 3hr mode? I got the firmware, but haven't installed it yet. My serial is 0107 1840 0098 B20B btw. If all the hack did was get you the 3hr mode and you still have MV I don't think I'll chance it.