1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to network printer

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by misty2055, Apr 26, 2007.

1. misty2055

misty2055 Member

I am running 2 PC's on XP that are wired on a home network. I am trying to install an ethernet printer directly to my ethernet switch to enable both Pc's to use it.
    The problem I have is that the printer does not show up on either machine. A test print page confirms it has found the IP address and appears to be configured ok. I can PING the address from both Pc's and if I enter the IP address in Explorer it detects the printer and allows me to view the settings.
    My Router Hub also shows it as attached.
    Nothing for it shows in my Network Places and the Add printer option does not detect it either.
    I have tried turning off my Firewall as well.
    I am using a Netgear 8 port switch and have tried bypassing that also. (the switch is not faulty)
    The DCHP server, Gateway and Netmask are the same as my Pc's.
    I am not sure where to go from here.
    My technical knowledge is limited so if you have any suggestions please make them as simple to understand as possible!
    Thanks

2. misty2055

misty2055 Member

I forgot to mention, my printer is a Dell 1700N and it works fine on USB as a local printer.