1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to play Shink dvd-r on cd-r/dvd combo drives

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by sjchubjo, Mar 3, 2005.

1. sjchubjo

sjchubjo Member

I use DVD Shrink 3.2 and Nero 6 Express. The dvd-r play fine on my home dvd players and my dvd read/write drive in my pc, but they will not play on my cd-r/dvd read combo drive or on my friend's laptops which have dvd read drives.
    Is there a setting on Nero or Shrink that I am missing which would allow the dvd-r to work on any dvd reading drive?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Maybe his drive only plays DVD+R/RW discs.

3. sjchubjo

sjchubjo Member

Thank you for your comment, however I don't think that is the reason because..... My cd-r/dvd reader combo drive won't play the dvd-r which dvd writer crates. Also I checked the dvd-r movie in two different laptops and it doesn't work in either.

Anyone have any tips???

Thanks for your time.

4. Blessedon

Blessedon Regular member

[bold]It is not outside the realm of probability that each drive is in need of a firmware update. Try the newest update for the oldest of the drives and see :)[/bold]

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Depending on what model # and brand of burner you are using, some of them can have the book-type set for dvd-rom for better compatability on more stand alone players and dvd drives. Of course you will have to use dvd+r media. I find the + is a lot more compatable on the many,many, stand alone players and pc drives that I play them on.Approx 20-25 of them.Of all those drives, only 1 will not play the dash format, they all will play the plus format.

It depends on which burner you have.

Media quality and burn speed can have a little effect on playability,but when you get no disc inserted errors,that means those players don't like that burn.

That drive that burned it should play it,and it should look great.

Updating the firmware may not help when it comes to stand alones playability. Updating usually works when a dvd-rw drive will not recognize a new mfg code of certain media. You will know when those discs are not listed on that burner's firware when it spits out the disc during the lead-in phase,just before the actual burn starts.