1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unable to read part of a file dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 1goodson, Nov 6, 2007.

1. 1goodson

1goodson Member

i'm sure this has been asked many times before, hell even i might have asked it on here before. i've been encoding and burning dvd's for many years now, so i'm not really a newb, but i think this is a newb question. lately when i burn a dvd i get the same error almost every time during playback. "unable to read part of a file on DVD, playback may be affected" then it shuts off.

it was doing this real bad before, and i have no idea what i did but it worked fine again for a few months, now i'm back to it again. my dvd's also used to all skin and freeze, but with some tinkering i did manage to fix that. right now it's just this error. it will play over an hour on most of them before it does it.

i'm running a compaq f579wm AMD athlon64 with windows xp pro. i have ben trying convertxtodvd,dvdsanta, and nero and i get the same error almost all the time, some will play fine randomly. right now i'm using memorex which i know sucks, and i have used maxell before. the fancy verbatims and such are not sold in my area so i'm out of luck there.

i've recently got directx as i did'nt even have it before, i was hoping that would be the easy solution that i just forgot. oh yeah and i'm burning at 2.4x as i've been told it's the best speed for dvd+

if anyone can help with advice please do, or point me to this if it's been solved before. right now i feel like smashing my brand new notebook out of frustration!!

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

playing a film most of the way through then a jerky end is bad/cheap media as you know and what may help abit is set the output size of each film smaller in convertxtodvd i use 4300 (so no burning on outer edge of dvdr - problem area) especially cheap media.

what program are you useing to BOOKTYPE your +R format to dvdrom ?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  3. 1goodson

1goodson Member

Rotary

hello there

you have my full attention right now. it seems that you've used convertxtodvd before, that's usually the one i favor. after you mentioned it i realize that most of these problems started when i tried to burn very long movies onto a disk, the one i have now for example is like 2 and a half hours long. as far as the output size, on my screen it only goes down to 4400 dvd-5 and then dvd9. however, it gives me the option to put it in manually, would using 4300 help you think?

as far as BOOKTYPE, i really feel like a newb all over again. i've never noticed this option on my converters, is there a seperate program i should be using to do this? and yes i know for sure now that memorex is cheap media, my only other options being maxell and sony,and i've heard that those are'nt much better.

seriously though, thank you in advance for trying to help me out here. i've got so many coasters laying around right now..

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

your media is your problem..... and you can booktype your drive to always make your +R media act like DVD-ROMs (imitate a store bought DVD). you can use DVDDecrypter to set your drive, just follow this link:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

now about you not having stores near you for good quality media... go online! Supermediastore.com has Taiyo Yuden disks! They are Made In Japan disks and are the best! IMO and many opinions of many members here! Verbatims can be found there, too! if you are serious about keeping your burned media for any length of time then you will burn with these brand, because other brands, especially Memosux, just won't last and you'll get reading errors or if you try to re rip from those disk you might not be able to after months or years later from original burning! Supermediastore.com, Rima.com, Meritline.com and other reputable online stores will sell you these disks at a reasonable price and mail them right to your door! problem solved.... and you won't get that error that you seem to be getting and you'll be able to burn to 4400MB .... living near the edge!!!!

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

to add to ihoe's excellant answer, yes set the manual to 4300, your burn speed seems slow enough...

as mentioned booktype that + makes it more compatible like ihoe's guide link

6. 1goodson

1goodson Member

IHoe

ok yes, i know the media is'nt great. though i have burned thousands of dvd's on memorex, and it has worked alot with them. this is like a totally new error to me.. so i figured it was something else along with it.

as far as booksetting goes, it looks like a good idea, though i don't use iso files when i'm burning. whenever i author a movie it comes up as vob files. as far as ordering dvd's online, sure that seems like a good idea, though i do have a 100 pack of memorex that i'm trying to use, so that i can make some cash back and be able to afford some fancy ones.

is there any other problems that might be causing this, since memorex has worked fine so many times before? also, i tried to reset to 4300 and it made no difference, locks up in the same place and goes no further.

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@1goodson.......pixelations, skipping, freezing and reading errors that cause players to shut off are caused by poor media. Just because a group of Memorex has worked before doesn't mean that all your Memorex was made by the same manufacturer or factory with the same kind of quality control as good quality media is made! That's why the nick name MEMOSUX! I'm sorry you have these disks...... but to know more about media is to know what's good and what will last! here is a media guide for you:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    this guide is not infallible! Some ratings of Media is not what it should be...... but it's a decent indication of what's good and what's not good...... I just don't agree with it's rating of TDK as first class media! CMC MAGS is Memorex! download DVDIdentifier and you will be able to identify your disk and it's manufacturer and then you can rate your disks and see that Memorex is NOT quality media and that's what's causing your problem. Don't believe me? ..... I have found out the hard way but was lucky...... after my first HUNDREDS of burning only a few Memorex were bought, only because of it's availability in the stores. And the Memorex that I used was RICOHJPN (second class media) which is much better than CMC MAGS! Too bad that Memorex switched manufacturers and the only reason I guess they did is to mass produce plenty for store shelves as compared to the good stuff that you can buy online! MIJs are the best then comes Verbatims (Taiwan/Singapore------ don't buy the ones made in India!). And the reason why I am saying this to you is:
    you actually think that your Memorex is not the problem here because it worked before. It's quality control and it's poor manufacturers make memorex inferior and all their disks are not the same. You're just finding this out now. IMO. it's very easy to try good Made In Japan disks and see if your problem goes away. I wish you luck.

also a note on booktyping your drive..... it doesn't matter if you're burning an ISO or DVD Compliant files (IFOs, BUPs, VOBs). Booktyping sets your burner to burn +R media to fool players that it's a DVD-ROM which are store bought DVD movies so it will be more compatible to players! So it doesn't matter whether you burn ISOs or VOBs.

The sooner you try better media (Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim) the sooner your problem goes away. I don't think there is anything else other than your burner going bad or your palyer going bad that might... I said might.... cause a problem like shutting off while playing a DVD! 99% of the time when you get skipping, freezing, pixelations and reading errors that shut off the player is caused by poor media. I just can't stress that enough.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  8. 1goodson

1goodson Member

IHoe

ok.. well i was'nt really trying to argue your points, obviously you know more about this then i do. honestly it just drives me ****ing crazy. i've got this stack of blanks here and they are all worthless. yes i will look into the TY's and verbatim's that you've suggested. in the meantime, i notice on that link that sony and maxell are first class media. i can just as easily get these locally to cover my work for right now, which one would you suggest over the two?

like i said before, i did'nt mean to come off like a dick in my last post. just losing alot of money.. and i've got people hounding me to get my work done. i will take your advice as soon as i can afford it trust me on that.

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I want to apologize to you about coming off too strongly. but I do think it's the Memorex causing the problem. And you're certainly not a D**k. ok...... check your drive's firmware.... make sure it's up to date. What drive do you have and that spindle of Memorex..... are they the exact same disks as you used before or are you using different speed of disks? did you switch from 8x disks to 16x disks.... this could be a problem, too! But to me it's the media. Now.... about Sony or Maxell...... check the label on the box or spindle and make sure it's MIJ(made in Japan) disks. The Sonys MIJs are hard to find in the stores. buy the Maxells. these are what I get:
    http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-white-inkjet-printable-8x-dvd-r-media.html
    but you can get the shiny silver TYs if you don't print on your DVDs:
    http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-plus-r-media.html
    check the other online stores to see what's the best deal you can get! good luck.

10. 1goodson

1goodson Member

ok let's see.. first i have a matshita burner, lame i know but it came with my notebook. i was thinking about the firmware too, though i'm very cautious about it because i heard that if you use the wrong firmware, it can totally brick your burner. so that's something i'll look into for sure now that you mention it, but i want to make sure i don't mess it up.

i notice on my disks that it's 16x, though honestly i can't remember if i've been using them or the 8x. on payday i'll pick up a pack of the maxells if i cant find any japenese made sony's. aside from that i'll get some of those TY's when i can afford to put some money in the bank. this whole dvd burning thing will be over for me in a few months, so i just want to finish my work on good terms. as far as the memorex go, i use them for backing up avi files and such and i've never had one fail on me, so i'll use what i have left for that.

anyways thank you for your help with this. i used to love memorex really, now i wish i had never bought them.

11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

check your older disks adn it should say right on them whether they are 8x or 16x........now that matshita..... I'm sorry about that,too..... make sure you use 8x media with that matshita. burn at 4x. good luck to you. let us know how you make out.

12. 1goodson

1goodson Member

ok i checked my disks,all of them have been 16x. both the memorex and maxells. ok, you say burn at 4x, but i read on afterdawn that 2.4x was better for dvd+, i will try 4x to see if it helps at all. right now im trying nerovision again, using the whatchamacallit, double burn VBR or something, i will post again after i try the maxells this week. thanks for all the time you've spent trying to help me again.

13. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

14. 1goodson

1goodson Member

update:

after buying some maxell dvd+ i've managed to burn about 20 dvd's without a single error. i did'nt use to trust maxell really, memorex always used to work fine for me. but after wasting so many of them i will NEVER go back. the ones i have left will go to backing up avi's for future projects, i'll stick to my maxells until i can splurge on the TY's.

thank you guys for your help!

15. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

alls well that ends well!