1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to read TOC

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jr13030, Dec 12, 2004.

1. jr13030

jr13030 Guest

I have successfully backed up almost 300 DVDs.... in a row.... without error. I have always used Ritek Ridata DVD-R blanks, and had no problems. On my last batch, I ran into a string of 15 consecutive blanks that when I placed it into the burner I received the "Unable to read TOC" error message. I am using DVD Decrypter. Did I just get a bad batch of media?

2. tomripley

tomripley Member

Maybe, but it isn't the only possible explanation.

1) What brand and model is your burner?
    2) Are you using the latest firmware?
    3) What speed are your discs certified at, 4x or 8x? If the latter, have you ever used any of these before?
    4) Did this happen for all the media in this batch?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  3. jr13030

jr13030 Guest

Out of a 50-pk spindle, it only happened with the 15 at the very end of the spindle. The rest worked perfectly.

4. tomripley

tomripley Member

It's hard to say without more information, but it does sound like the media was at fault.

If it was 8x Ritek media I know a lot of people has had problems with it, some of which has been solved through firmware upgrades. But again, without more data, it's impossible to tell whether that might be related to your case.

5. 222333444

222333444 Member

Get a disk from a retailer and try and burn it. If it also fails then you know it's your softwear, configuration or burner.

6. jr13030

jr13030 Guest

Picked up more disks... no problem. Convinced it must've been a bad batch. Anyone ever had so many bad ones in a row?

7. kchev

kchev Regular member

yep anything is possible, even entire spindles