1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to recover TOC!!! WHAT!?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by savman, Aug 30, 2004.

1. savman

savman Member

I've been using the awesome DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink for the past 5 months I've had my new system/DVD burner. This is my first DVD R/RW drive and a friend of mine turned me on to Afterdawn as soon as I got my new machine. I love all the info on this site and the software. What an awesome resource.

I've had about 50 successful burns in a row until I tried some generic media. Once I found that was bunk, I went back to the name-brand stuff and life is good. The Platinum DVD's from Global are the ones that freaked my burner out. Sony, Philips, Maxell, Memorex - all perfect. I've used Decrypter/Shrink for all burns with success.

I've come across a task my boss has asked me to do for him. You see where this is going. He hands me a two-DVD set he wants me to copy. It's from his daughter's dance production and his friends/family want copies of it. Well, a local video company in his small town recorded and produced the two-DVD set, and while checking the copies I made of the first DVD, I believe I saw the Macintosh symbol displayed on the screen somewhere.

Well, I made a few drink coasters trying to copy disk 1 using my factory-installed NTI DVD-maker 6.5 software, so I tried the older version of Decrypter I had and that did not work either. So, I upgraded to the new version of DVD Decrypter and I was able to make all the copies of disk 1 that were required.

Now for disk 2. I pop it in the drive and wait for Decrypter to detect it, only to get no files shown in the screen on the right, and the message on the bottom of the software indicates "Device Not Read (Unable to recover TOC)". I tried to copy disk 2 with the NTI copier and I get a drink coaster.

Disk 2 is clean and the surface is perfect - I put it in my disk washer just in case, but it doesn't make a difference. I put in my CD/DVD drive cleaning disk and run it as called for - no change. The HD has been defragged with Diskeeper. Doesn't make a diff. Disk 2 plays in my stand-alone Sony DVD player without a problem, but Power DVD will not play it on my machine.

My question is, how am I going to copy this DVD? I can search this site all day and night, but I don't have the time to be a DVD master. So, if a master has the answer for me and can assist me in figuring this out, I figure a Paypal payment may be in order for this person. I'm not rich, but it's the least I can offer for someone's time. I don't have the excess time myself, so I thought I could pony up some green backs for someone that's nice enough to help out. What else to offer through a digital medium...

System specs:
    Athlon 64-bit 3200+
    XP Pro
    1GB DDR RAM
    Toshiba SD-R5112 DVD burner
    Sony CD-RW CRX230E
    80GB HD

Thanks in advance,
    Chad

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Chad, That second disc is probably the extras. They are sometimes set completely different and cause problems on copying. Here is at least one suggestion to try. Download AnyDVD if you don't already have it. There is a trial time period for it so you can see if this works. It runs in the background as a decrypter. Start AnyDVD, then open any program like Nero, Roxio, or RecordNow Max and use the disc copy feature to copy the disc. It should work. Worth a try at least. Good luck, post back if it works.

Jerry

3. savman

savman Member

Will do Jerry - thanks.
    C

4. savman

savman Member

Hey,
    Sorry I'm a little slow at getting back. I tried something else before I could try your suggestion, Jerry. I downloaded the new version of decrypter and fired up AnyDVD before using it. I was able to see the contents of the disk like any normal disk I've copied, so I thought I may have a solution. But, when I was pulling the files off the DVD to my HD, I got an I/O error and this is my log file:

I 07:07:42 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.1.0 started!
    I 07:07:42 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 1)
    W 07:07:42 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB
    W 07:07:42 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB
    I 07:07:42 Initialising SPTI...
    I 07:07:42 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 07:07:42 Found 1 CD-RW and 1 DVD-RW!
    I 07:08:24 Operation Started!
    I 07:08:24 Source Device: [1:0:0] TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R5112 1031 (E:) (ATA)
    I 07:08:24 Source Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: AML)
    I 07:08:24 Source Media Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
    I 07:08:24 Source Copyright Protection System Type: None
    I 07:08:24 Destination Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Chad\My Documents\DVD Decrypter\
    I 07:08:24 Detect Mastering Errors: No
    I 07:08:24 File Splitting: By File
    I 07:08:24 Multi Angle Processing: No
    I 07:08:24 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
    I 07:08:24 Stream Processing: No
    I 07:08:25 Copying VIDEO_TS.IFO... (LBA: 294 - 299) - KEY: N/A
    I 07:08:25 Copying VIDEO_TS.VOB... (LBA: 300 - 365) - KEY: N/A
    I 07:08:25 Copying VIDEO_TS.BUP... (LBA: 366 - 371) - KEY: N/A
    I 07:08:25 Copying VTS_01_0.IFO... (LBA: 372 - 396) - KEY: N/A
    I 07:08:25 Copying VTS_01_1.VOB... (LBA: 397 - 524598) - KEY: N/A
    I 07:13:25 Copying VTS_01_2.VOB... (LBA: 524599 - 1048800) - KEY: N/A
    W 07:16:36 Failed to read Sector 845008 - Unrecovered Read Error
    E 07:18:13 Failed to read Sector 845009 - Unrecovered Read Error
    E 07:18:13 Failed to copy VTS_01_2.VOB!
    I 07:18:18 Copying VTS_01_3.VOB... (LBA: 1048801 - 1517911) - KEY: N/A
    E 07:19:14 Failed to read Sector 1048834 - Unrecovered Read Error
    E 07:19:14 Failed to copy VTS_01_3.VOB!
    I 07:19:16 Copying VTS_01_0.BUP... (LBA: 1517912 - 1517936) - KEY: N/A
    I 07:19:16 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:10:51
    I 07:19:16 Average Read Rate: 2,595 KB/s (1.9x) - Maximum Read Rate: 7,471 KB/s (5.4x)

So, after this long weekend, I will try running AnyDVD before I run my disk copy feature in Nero or other. Unless anyone has suggestions after seeing my log file above...

Thanks - Chad

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Looking at that last log, it seems like you might have a defective disc. All those unrecoverable read errors look like corrupt data on the disc. The process I suggested may do the same thing. Corrupt data will sometimes read ok in a player, but shows up bad when its trying to rip.
    Good luck.

Jerry

6. savman

savman Member

Yea, disk 2 of the set works fine in a standard DVD player. I didn't watch every part of the DVD, but if there are any flaws, I couldn't detect them.

So, what to do with corrupt data when trying to make a copy? Is there any workaround?

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Not much you can do with that. 321 studios use to have DVD X Rescue that worked sometimes if the data wasn't too bad. I never used the program but have read info on here from members that did. Don't know if its still available seeing the company is shut down. Maybe use the search bar here and see what comes up. I just happen to re-read your first post that these discs are home made not purchased. Don't know how I missed that the first time around. There is no encryption on the discs so all you need to do is a straight disc copy like I mentioned before. But you don't even need AnyDVD either. Make sure the originals are very clean. If scratched, you made try one of those Disc Doctors they sell to remove scratches. Hope this helps but not many choices with bad originals. Good luck.

Jerry

8. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Set the read speed manually to 1x in dvddecypter.
    This has helped on some discs especially if they read in a player but error on the computer.

9. savman

savman Member

Well, I set the read speed to 1x and that didn't work. I also left AnyDVD running in the background while I used my DVD copy software and that failed. The disk was in perfect shape, no surface damage. I gave it back to my boss, had to throw in the towel on this one. I tried everything I could and nothing worked. Thanks for all of your help!

10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

If you have done it at 1x then thats all you can do.
    Its a bad disc.
    I have some bad burns that I can't get all the files back onto the computer but will play on my Pioneer stand alone.
    It's not your fault. It was bad when you got it.
    I haven't found a DVDrom or DVD writer that will read everything some stand alones will. I have tried.

You could always capture the video directly from the DVD player. Then turn it back into a DVD.

11. savman

savman Member

I tried all I could, that's for sure. I thought I may be SOL with the source DVD. I think the video capture is a good idea. I will do that if he wants me to. Totally appreciate the help, though.