1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to restore from backup :(

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by GregB81, Jul 2, 2007.

1. GregB81

GregB81 Member

Hi all, I've had a look in the forums and can't find anything relevant to the problem I'm having. Having recently bought a new hard drive I backed up my music collection using Nero 6 Ultra Edition. I used the inbuilt backup program and remember being asked if I wanted the filenames shortened because they were too long for the disc. I'm sure that during this procedure the program told me that the filenames would be fully restored when I restored from the discs.
    Now, when I try to restore from the 18 DVD's, I can find the NBI file on the last disc no problem, but before the restore starts I get the following message on my screen:-

"Some of the folders/files cannot be restored because they will have long folder/file paths on the target location. Possible cause:
    -The folder selected as restore target has long file path.
    -Backup was created on different operating system that had long name file support."

The Restore then starts, but is unable to restore the vast majority of the files. Error code 3 is mentioned.

Has anyone experience of this problem and how to fix it? I really can't afford to lose my music collection because of this damn program :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Greg

2. attar

attar Senior member

I don't have an answer.
    The limit for folder/file paths is 255? characters.
    Is it possible to restore it to [c:\] so that the combined length does not exceed 255 or does the restore program insist on having the restore path the same name as the source?

3. GregB81

GregB81 Member

After changing the restore target to C drive everything seems to be working smoothly, I'm 3 discs in without any problems :-D Thanks so much for the advice Attar, I really appreciate it.
    I was worried as hell for a few days then!

4. attar

attar Senior member

Good luck with the other fifteen.

5. GregB81

GregB81 Member

Its all worked fantastically, thanks so much mate. Best wishes for the future :)