1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unblocking sites

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Spider323, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hi, I was wondering if there is any way to visit sites that are blocked by a school system? As I enjoy going to game sites and going to ebaumsworld when it is updated every friday I would like to be able to go to it in school. But unfortunatel it is blocked. Is there any way that I can go to these kind of game sites and others without instaling any programs? And I read the forums and found a post to try www.proxyweb.net but well they blocked that too!

Thanks!

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

They do this at my college too and the only way around it that I know of is to have an Administration id & password, other than that i dont know

3. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

It depends on what kind of security system your school is using. If it is using Novell, you're pretty much out of luck. There is a catch though...they block all the sites for INTERNET EXPLORER. If you download another browser on the computer, such as Opera or Mozilla then you will be able to access these sites again. Just a warning though: If you actually want to go on these sites, keep this to yourself or a few friends as the admins will quickly catch on to it if they notice no one is using IE.

Hunter007

4. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hey, Thanks for answering but is there any other way since I could get in deep crap for installing programs on the computers there.

Thanks!

5. OzMick

OzMick Guest

It only worked for a while before they caught on back in high school, but we used to ping websites for their IP address (open command window, type "ping www.website.com"), and then type the IP address instead of the actual DNS name. Another REALLY lame one that actually worked for a while too was dropping the leading www from an address, they used to block the whole name only, not partials.

Another one that might work for you is to go to Altavista and find their Babelfish website translation service. Try translating an english page from something like french to english, thus using Babelfish as a lame proxy service.

Yes, we were very bored back in high school. Very bored indeed.

6. Xian

Xian Regular member

Using an alternate browser won't work on most web proxies anymore. Since all internet traffic has to go through it it don't matter what browser you are using. The newer ones also do a reverse DNS lookup so if you try to just enter the IP it resolves it and checks it against the list. We evaluated one at work and it blocked pretty much all non work related sites and they update the filter list often as new sites and proxies become available.

The only way I have found around it is to create a SSH tunnel to an outside shell account and forward all port 80 requests to it. That is provided they don't have outgoing SSH (TCP Port 22) blocked. Most newer terminal programs support SSH tunneling (Secure CRT does), or you can always boot with a Knoppix CD and run Linux without touching the original PC configuration since it runs off of CD. Then you can ssh to your shell account from it.

7. 2005

2005 Regular member

just set up a proxie from your home and go to school and connect to it... for example my schools ip is 209.161.84.71 port 2071... all i do is set up a proxie say 209.183.43.42 port 8080 and get to school and connect to it.