1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unclean Backup?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by xsbling, Jan 1, 2005.

1. xsbling

xsbling Guest

I have a Liteon 16x burner. I used Costco's Dvd+R to backup my dvds. The steps i take is straight from the dvd to dvd shrink to re-author to backup and burn.

Some dvds i've done deep analysis b/4 backup.

Anyways, I am getting a finished dvd which plays on all the dvd players, but I get a lot of freezes and picture distortions through out the movie which is really annoying. Any hints? Would using dvd decrptor, save to hd, and using dvd shrink resolve this? Thanks, and Happy New Year!!

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

xsbling: As has been discussed in 50 bazillion threads, chances are the freezes and distortions are the result of crap/low quality media. Get some Taiyo Yudens from supermediastore.com and try them out. Also, the picture distortions could be artifacts from too much compression in dvdshrink. Since you are re-authoring, you must be getting around 70-90% which is pretty good so i would rule that out. You could try decryptor to rip then use shrink to transcode and see if that helps your situation but if the media is the problem that won't help much. Can't hurt to try it though, only takes an hour or two right. One last suggestion is trying -R media if your burner supports it as well and see if that helps.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I agree with kingd, Those are one of the classic symptoms of poor media. Get some good media,ty's are said to be the best.I haven't tried them yet.Supermedia store has some of the lowest price for ty's. If you are not comfortable buying off the net, try some maxell,fujis,or tdks. Preferably made in japan are the better ones.

If you still want to try to use up those costco's, then set your burn setting as slow as you can get it. Or use them for data. The slower speed may work,that is what poor media requires to be viewable.

Go with high quality media,your stand alones will thank you for it.

Later

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

You can try burning it slower that the max speed (try 4X), but this case looks like it's bad media. You don't have to buy the best media in the world like Taiyo Yudens, but there are so many great deals out there now where you can pick great media like Ritek and Verbatim for 30-40 cents a piece. I realized 2 years ago when it would take me 25 minutes to burn one DVD at 2.4X that it wasn't worth it to get super-cheap media only to have a failed burn or to discover that the data was corrupted months later. You'll save time and get piece of mind if you avoid the very low-end of media - the Kypermedia, Princo, etc.

5. xsbling

xsbling Guest

Thx guys for your responses. The costco meida is TDK dvd+r that I'm using. I tried shutting all spywares, internet and so forth and set the speed at 4x. I will try a media suggested by u guys, but could it be the burner i have? - Liteon 12x RW burner?

I've made around 8 backups so far and every one of them has the freezes and distortions, which i'm getting used to a bit. =)

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey x, without know the media manufacture code on those tdk's,the slower burn speed may help. You may have to go even slower.

The main thing: How do those backups look on your pc?. The drive that burned it,must be able to play it without the freezing. If it freezes during pc playback,several possibilities:

Dirty lens

Your burner does not like that certain brand of media.Firmware update may be needed to burn that type of media.

Burning software.

Bad burner.

That's why it is easier trying high quality media along with a slower burn speed.

Later