1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncompressed pcm stereo onto DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by malum, Apr 14, 2003.

1. malum

malum Regular member

I remember seeing it asked before about putting audio only onto DVD and that it is possible with some messing around.
    I decided to try it out and created a 3.2GB .wav file with all my Led Zeppelin on it (using Ulead media studio Pro at 16bit and 48Khz) and an accompanying mpeg file just with the title of each track on screen as it plays.

Now. Nothing will recognise this audio track and I can't play it in WMP. Importing it into Maestro gives me a track of length 0.00 seconds.

I can create an .mpa track no problem and have that work but I want the audio to be uncompressed for optimum quality.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. LuNaTiC

LuNaTiC Guest

3. malum

malum Regular member

Thanks, can't get the link to work though

4. LuNaTiC

LuNaTiC Guest

Not sure what is up with the link, It is the correct url.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2003
  5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

The URL is good.

It states this in the 1st paragraph;
    [bold]Sonic DVDit SE only supports PCM Audio(uncompressed audio), it means that you can not store as much video on a DVD if you used compressed audio such as Dolby Digital. PCM Audio is about 10 MB/minute and DD about 1-4 MB/minute depending what compression factor you use.
    Sonic DVDit PE supports Dolby Digital and PCM Audio.

You can import AVI or MPEG2 video, if you import AVI DVDit will encode it for you and if you add MPEG2 within the DVD standard DVDit won't reencode so you can use TMPGenc or CCE to encode the video first to get best quality. Sonic DVDit SE will automatically convert all audio to PCM. [/bold]

peace

Last edited: Apr 16, 2003
  6. malum

malum Regular member

Cheers, I'll check it out.

7. malum

malum Regular member

Turns out that the problem was the size of the wav file.
    I chopped it into album sized chunks and Maestro took it without a problem.

Thanks for the input all the same.

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

9. malum

malum Regular member

I spoke too soon.
    You can't add more than one audio track on the same time line in Maestro. This is way more trouble than it's worth but it's annoying me now.
    I am in the middle of downloading DVDit and will see if that takes audio tracks one after the other.

10. LuNaTiC

LuNaTiC Guest

Do you really need uncompressed audio? I guess I cant really tell the difference when listening to the actual CD's vs an MP3 encoded at say 192kbps. If all you are trying to do is put a bunch of music onto a DVD-R you may want to check out SonicFoundry DVD Architect (its part of vegas+dvd). There is a demo (lol) and manual on the website. It takes several formats as input including mp3s and transcodes them to ac3. You can create menu's, show song title's and pictures...etc www.sonicfoundry.com

11. malum

malum Regular member

Unfortunately I do need uncompressed audio, being picky, I bought a high end HiFi DVD player because I care about the sound quality.
    making the AC3 version is very straightforward but won't do I'm afraid.

I can't understand why there seems to be a size limit on a wav file that prevents it being recognised by anything. Oh well.