1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undiluted Platinum worth it??

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by g0tmk, Apr 12, 2007.

1. g0tmk

g0tmk Member

I recently bought a PSP from a friend for cheap, but it is at 3.30 firmware. There is no warranty that i know of. I know you cant downgrade from 3.30 *yet*, but i was wondering if everyone thought it was worth buying the UP modchip and load a custom firmware onto it. The only other option is to wait until a 3.30 downgrader - which i have no idea how long that will take. I know that 3.30 was recently decrypted - maybe that means it could be made in the near future?

2. flowfast

flowfast Regular member

na its not worth it.

Buy a new PSP, swap the serial # sticker, and return the 3.30. Pretty sure there are psp's still in stores that are 2.71 or 3.03.

of course i would never do that serial swapping trick now would I. cuz thats bad.....

3. fultonla

fultonla Guest

definetly do not do what flow fast said that could get you in big trouble cause you never know.

I'm just waiting till the pspdevoloution modchip comes out and im getting that

4. g0tmk

g0tmk Member

What's the pspdevoloution modchip? A quick search only told me april 16, but no details. Almost none of the results were in english.

5. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

a chip or a swap, which is easier on your pocketbook?

oh, and i havent seen any psps at 3.03 brand new out of the box, the highest that they have straight out of the box is 2.71...in the US anyway.....i have heard of korean 3.10's brand new though....

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  6. g0tmk

g0tmk Member

A swap? Do you mean physically replace the onboard flash? I have plenty of money I can spend on this, I would rather spend it wisely, though.

7. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

yeah...i dont know which would be cheaper though, but arent the new chips expensive as idkwhat...?

8. flowfast

flowfast Regular member

why do you guys want a mod chip? When software can do the same thing.

and about what I said befor about the sticker swapping, do at your own risk. shhh BTW holding a blow dryer over the sticker will soften the glue for perfect removal

9. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

i dont know what warranty sticker you removed, but mine said "void" as soon as the heatgun touched it..lol

i think i have enough know-how to get another psp back to where my current one is if this breaks....no worries, $ comes $ goes.....

oh, and what software?

10. flowfast

flowfast Regular member

its the sticker on the bottom. the long white one with a bar code to the left of the screw.

I'm 98% sure that the kid at EB or whatever will scan the serial number to see if it matches your receipt and box code. of course with your handiwork it will. If you have some guts, it will work every time. They are NOT going to look behind the battery. That code is really only tracked through Sony. Your local retailer only goes by the numbers on the outside of the PSP and the numbers on the box. And for some reason if they question you, just say "oh shit man I picked up my brothers PSP by mistake". Plus at EB workers get paid like 10$ an hour, do you really think they care?

*Like I said I am not condoning this in anyway shape or form, just dropping some shady knowledge on ya's.

Software does everything your PSP needs i.e. 3.10 OE-A is software. All your PSP plugins and homebrew is software and so on.....

Software modding really got big with the Xbox1 and now the 360. Thus the term "SoftMod"

11. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

3.10 OE-A is "firmware", and it can; by no means what-so-ever, take any 3.30 psp back to Sony 1.50....so please explain to me how a mod chip is a bad thing?

12. flowfast

flowfast Regular member

Well if your PSP is not downgradable yet the yes a mod chip might be good. But u know in a few months maybe sooner Dark_Alex will work his magic again.

Any file that you download on your computer is "Software". PSP fw is just a bunch of DATA in code, just like all the other files on your computer. Does that make sense?

Xbox media Center is homebrew FW for the xbox just like OE-A is for the PSP. Its all data, and data should be shared. Some times you ll see the source code along with whatever you downloaded. Free software movement is very much alive!!!

13. SOE337

SOE337 Member

No they dont care. especially when you swop sticker prices and return 512M memory sticks and swop them out equally for a 2G. hahah

14. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

if it were for the computer, sure it would be called software....but this is a whole seperate serial device, though it has the same functions of a com, its a whole other animal....and for the sake of the noobs, and people, that are going to tell others this information...its firmware*(sony firmware: you can only go up e.g. 3.10>>3.11>>3.30>> on a psp) understand?

15. SOE337

SOE337 Member

hmmmm, i smell a ban coming on.

16. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

from? for?

17. flowfast

flowfast Regular member

I still have to disagree about the software thing. Your PSP FW was written no doubt on the computer. The hackers have to de-compile the code, mod it, then recompile the code.

If its for the PSP, xbox, space ship, or new micro-waves they all are driven by the software. My 360 DVD drive has a modded software so it can read backups. And a dvd drive isn't a computer but yet there is software written for it. So just because the programmer transfers the FW code to your PSP it is still software. It doesn't change.

OK back on topic.

18. SOE337

SOE337 Member

it seems like certain individuals can't speak cryptically about certain things where the legality may be questionable?

19. flowfast

flowfast Regular member

I dont know the laws where he lives so I cant say for sure. But I think its safe to say that its not legal.

Sorry if I offended anyone by what I said about sticker swapping.

20. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

lol...you just proved my point...

sofware is what is used to compile "code"

....its just code until it touches the psp....