1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uninstall Shrink or Decrypter?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by djlen, Mar 12, 2005.

1. djlen

djlen Regular member

Just recently, I read in a thread(can't find the particular thread I'm referring to) where at times it becomes necessary to uninstall one or both of these applications and then re-download and install.
    A simple enough process, but I'm wondering under what conditions this becomes necessary.
    Can they become corrupt in some what due to misuse which might make an uninstall necessary?

Len

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

theres no real problem that causes it. just that if a user keeps getting an error relating to the program, one of the easiest ways to trouble shoot it is to uninstal completley, reboot, reinstall, reboot, and test. If it works then good, if it doesnt it eliminates the program as being the culprit. This method applies to any program installed on your computer, including windows. Over time it fills up with crap/starts getting errors/blue screens, and is easily fixed by a quick format and reinstall

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

well i personally only have dvd shrink & decryptor installed permanently. sometimes install anydvd trial to get around something then uninstall it. Software conflicts is a microsoft speciality. I also have Nero permamently installed, i often read that uninstalling that doesnt work properly (ive been ok with it) and that you have to run specific uninstall proggie(s) to make nero evict itself from your registry

Rich

4. redbaron5

redbaron5 Guest

I recently had to uninstall/re-install my DVD shrink because it just simply stopped working properly. My dvd burns suddenly stopped playing in my household dvd players. I thought it was a copyright issue with the particular discs I was backing up, however, as a test I re-burned discs that i knew were fine and those wouldn't play...so after wasting 10 blank dvds i decided to uninstall and re-install the program and now I'm back in business.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You can find the Nero "Clean Tools" here:

http://ww2.nero.com/us/Clean_Tools.html

Remaoving and reinstalling Nero is a common fix. It is usually one of the first things Nero Tech Support will have you do if there is a problem.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You can find the Nero "Clean Tools" here:

http://ww2.nero.com/us/Clean_Tools.html

Remaoving and reinstalling Nero is a common fix. It is usually one of the first things Nero Tech Support will have you do if there is a problem.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  7. djlen

djlen Regular member

Yeah, I've never had any problem with Nero and so have not had to un-install it.
    I did have a bit of trouble with shrink and error messages and then I burned one that the stand alone could not read.
    I think much of the problem was the library discs were too scratched up and so the error messages. I tried 'Field of Dreams' yesterday and it seemed to burn OK, but wouldn't play on the TV machine or the computer. So last night I deleted the whole file and started over and burned it to a re-writable and it burned and plays fine.
    If I continue with intermittent problems, I'll un-install both programs and re-install them.

Len

8. djlen

djlen Regular member

Just wanted to add here that the burn I spoke of above was attempted at 6x rather than the usual 4x that I'd been using.
    I've gone back to 4x and have had no problems at all with subsequent backups since returning to that speed.
    I have a feeling that that may have been a contributing factor in the problems.
    I'm using a good brand of media, but not the best. Just wondering if using better media would allow me to burn at higher speed or if the risk rate increases regardless?

Len

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Crappy media causes a lot of problems. I just burn at 4X because I found that more errors were likely to occur at higher burn speeds.