1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unique problem: Playing DVD imports/backups w/ GS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by C_Forge, Apr 7, 2003.

1. C_Forge

C_Forge Member

I've searched all over the forums about my particular situation and really haven't found any solutions to my problem, so here it is:

I am trying to play an import DVD (VF4:Evolution) on my US PS2. I have a Fliptop and Swap Magic 2 (no modchips installed). It plays fine with this setup, however, I need to use the codes from the Gameshark2 (version 2.0) to do various things like unlock items, artwork etc.

I tried all the usual "swap trick" methods like the knife trick (except I use the fliptop instead of pulling out the tray), including loading a game with higher TOC (soul reaver 2 for example) first. I have both the import EVO and a backup of the import on DVD-R, neither work using the GS2 "tricks".

I'm assuming my situation is that since I don't have a modchip to remove the TOC limitations, I will have to somehow rip my import EVO to a CDR (IE remove a lot of content like movies/music etc) to get under the TOC limits.

My problem with THIS is that the usual methods of making dummy music/movie files to downsize wont work because of the file formats on the Evo DVD. There are 3 major data files with .cvm extensions, so it wont be an easy matter of just cutting media.

I've read up on the standard processes of ripping DVD to CDR (IE using Atlantis) and really doubt that this will be possible.

Sorry for being such a n00b about this... this is all very new to me right now. If anyone has any experience with this I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Cosmic Forge

2. C_Forge

C_Forge Member

Bumped... cuz I need an answer on playing imports with the GS2 :)