1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unknown files on my PC

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by goldie220, Jun 28, 2007.

1. goldie220

goldie220 Guest

I need more space on my computer & I have a bunch of files on my computer that i have no idea what they are so i cant delete them, a lot of them have abbreviations, is there any way to figure out what the files are???

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Maybe if you told us their names?

3. goldie220

goldie220 Guest

There's to many to list on here, some of them are a bunch of numbers & letters too, i just thought there was maybe some kind of website or something that may be able to tell me, i want to just clean my whole computer but i bought it at best buy in 2004 as a display & it didn't come with a back up disk, i guess i just have to buy more memory

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

if you don't tell us anything, we can't help you!

Are they all in one folder? They could be cookies from websites if they are in a folder like called "Cookies" or C:WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files

cookies look like this

They are safe to delete but some websites where you have to login may not remember your username/password any more.

Or they could be temp files. Just tell us about (say) the first 10 files you have found. Their names and what folder they are in.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  5. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Like posted.....you'll have to be a bit more specific. Such as where these files are?? What folder are they in?

Three folders not to touch unless you know what you're after are:

C:\Program Files, C:\Windows, and C:\Documents and Settings.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  6. goldie220

goldie220 Guest

i'm going to list some them i dont think there cookies some of them say i cant open them because windows doesnt know who created it

7. goldie220

goldie220 Guest

These are in hp pavilion (c) ml1.srt, ml2.srt, ntuser.dat, reglog.txt, dvdpath.txt, drwtsn32.log, barcontrol.dll, autoexec.old, _arms_errors, input.avs, index.ini, config.sys.bak, caavsetup.log, pdoxusrs, trig.dttl, hpfr37.log, don't know what they are, theres a lof of unknown things & im trying to free up space i had 22% free space 3 days ago now its down to 8 % i dont know what took up the space

8. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

You shouldn't try, or be able to, get rid of .dat files. Index, ntuser.dat files are settings files for programs and Windows.

As far as the others you've listed, those are also negligent and take up very little space. Programs like CCleaner can help you with getting rid of built up files.

But....since your hard drive space is being taken up quickly, it's not these tiny little files that is doing it. Backup files, large memory dump files, ISO images, or installations of large games...things of that nature is what takes up a considerable amount of space. As does System Restore. You might try searching your drive for .dmp files and getting rid of them...and check into how many restore points your system has, and reduce the amount to as few as possible.