1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unlock volume

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by chsnake, Feb 10, 2005.

1. chsnake

chsnake Guest

when i go to backup i get this error can't unlock volume fsctl for exclusive access. now if i ignore it will work but i would like to solve the issue don't want to damage my equipment. do i need to reconfigure something ????
    sonydru540 and sonydru710 using tdk or sony media also anydvd and decrypt.

thanks
    chsnake

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Problem:
    You get an error saying 'Unable to lock volume for exclusive access'

A.K.A. 'DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Failed!'

Answer:
    Another program is currently using the drive. You need to find out what it is and shut it down!

The only way I know of finding out what else has a 'handle' open to the drive is by using Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com

Load it up and click 'Find' -> 'Find Handle...'

The type 'cdrom' and click 'search'

See if it comes up with any results

If it doesnt, try searching for the drive letter of that drive - i.e. 'F:'

If it finds something, click on it in the search window. The main window should then highlight the process / 'File' entry that contains the handle to the drive. You can right click -> close the handle if you like, or just close the entire application, it's up to you.

You may also get error 'Unknown (34)' sometimes. Cancel the burn, press F5 and then attempt to write it again. It's just windows going mad, nothing to worry about