1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unlocking files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bryank, May 11, 2004.

1. bryank

bryank Member

i've now tried burning after installing both the older and newer aspi versions. after many attempts i was finally able to burn one dvd successfully, but again received an I/O error message when attempting a second dvd burn. it states (along with tons of miscellaneous numbers): "I/O Error invalid address for write". can anyone help? thanks a million.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi bryank,

What kind of computer do you have, I looked in previous posts but did not see anything. Also are you just using the Pioneer to rip and burn with?

It sure seems like something is very different about your set up. Most folks don't have too much difficulty burning DVDs. When they do have problems, a few suggestions can usually fix things right up.

However in your case or fine suggestions seem to be taking you nowhere.

First off, we are not going to solve your problem. You are.
    Most of the suggestions we make are general in nature. Good media, good hardware, proper use of programs, correct hardware installation, etc. Hopefully you have an idea of what needs to be in place for successful DVD copying.

At any rate you are here so lets not give up yet, but I need to know what you trying to use.
    A very detailed description of your machine with lots of numbers and brand names is always nice.
    I want to know about your hard drive and video card if any.
    Also tell me if you like to tweak and/or overclock stuff. What do you do with your computer when you are not trying to burn DVDs?
    What kind of maintenance and utility programs do you have? Do you do disc clean-ups and defrags? Do you check your registry often? Are you using anti-virus software?

Heres mine for a small example:
    Sony VAIO RS220, 2.53 Ghz P4, 1024 RAM, 120 GB Seagate HD, 80 GB W. Digital External HD, On board Video, Lite-on 166S DVD ROM, Pioneer A-07 burner, Sony DRU-700A DL burner. Currently the Pioneer is installed again.

Maintenance programs: Spybot S&D, Ad-ware 6.0, Registry Mechanic, System Mechanic 4, Nero Utilities,Mcafee Anti-virus and firewall.

By looking at that you can tell what I use to burn DVDs. Certainly not the latest and greatest but a reliable, moderately fast unit. You can tell I like to keep it in order just by the maintenance programs I listed.

So please make me a list!

If I had your problem the next thing I would do is a disc cleanup, defrag, virus/adware checks and then run one of those registry checking utilities. Registry Mechanic:
    http://www.winguides.com/regmech/

Check your hardware too. Are your IDE cables plugged into your drives correctly? Have you got the master and slave jumpers installed correctly relative to the drives positions on the IDE buss?

If errors still occur I would then suspect the video card. I don't have much experience with them so I can't help to much in that area.

Something else to consider is Nero. It has a 30 day free trial.
    DVD43 and Nero Recode2 will give you a set of different programs to try and be easier to troubleshoot as well.
    Nero can generate a burn log with all kinds of useful system information.

Hopefully you won't end up dumping your OS and reformatting your HD but it may come to that. Some error in your system is causing this and that might be the only way to fix it.

Taking your computer to a shop is always an option. Pay someone. They may have it fixed in no time at all.
    My brother worked on his for weeks until he gave up. The shop tech replaced his video card and reformatted. In a couple of days he had his machine back, working perfectly.
    I'll only struggle for so long before I start fighting with cash.

Some folks don't have money for that though and of course we will do the best we can to help you! It may come to spending money though.

Sorry for the long reply, don't forget the list,

Cheers,
    Frank

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004