1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unlocking Motorola V551!!!

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by satya33, Jan 7, 2005.

1. satya33

satya33 Member

Cingular has started the immoral practice of locking V551 (and other phones) to work on their own network!!! Does anyone know how to unlock the phone to help thousands like myself. I will really be a big fan of this forum if I get the answer. It sucks that I cannot use my own property the way I would like.

2. motodude

motodude Guest

There are lots of phone unlocking services out on the web you can try. Also you can unlock it yourself but I wouldn't recommend it because you can lock the phone up for good.

3. satya33

satya33 Member

Thanks for your reply. That sucks and sounds scary. Cingular et al should be sued for indulging in such malpractices.

Does anyone know the unlocking procedure though... Anyone one adventurous enough to try on their own phone?

4. mr_day

mr_day Member

Unfortunately i find myself back home (half way across the world in New Zealand) after having purchased the Motorola v551 at full price of $249USD, suffering from the same predicament. After powering up and unlocking my local sim card i'm prompted to 'enter subsidy password.' Basically Cingular have sold me the phone with the promise that it will work with providers in other countries, when in reality they have kept it locked for use only in the US. Unlocking the phone manually sounds like the only alternative, so any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

5. viper8437

viper8437 Regular member

thats not true

i bought a phone in the U.S. and took it to spain
    you sould have just gone to a cingular store in the new country and they give u a new sim card and do everything for you

6. toranks

toranks Member

all you have to is go to www.unlockmyphonenow.com pay $20. for the unlock code and call it a day. I unlocked my phone that way.

7. ballalude

ballalude Member

i am interested in unlockin the phone myself. i have a v600 and the usb cable. anyone know the correct software to use?

8. betaomega

betaomega Guest

I totally agree Cingular should be sued. I plan on taking my issues to the media so that future customers would think twice before signing a contract with cingular.

I've already notifed their complaints department that If my issues are not resovled by mon midnight the media would be informed that while a consumer may take their cell phone number whereever they want they have to purchase new equipment. As Cingulars policy is not to unlock the phone. Where's the freedom in changing companys or using the phone overseas. It's not even financially sound to buy new equipment if you already have it, & where the world class customer service. Their customer service sucks.

I think taking issues about Cingular to the media is a much better way of handling things especially since it will descredit the company reputation, and make them think twice when making thier policies.

T Mobile is ok, Verizon also is very good.

9. betaomega

betaomega Guest

I totally agree Cingular should be sued. I plan on taking my issues to the media so that future customers would think twice before signing a contract with cingular.

I've already notifed their complaints department that If my issues are not resovled by mon midnight the media would be informed that while a consumer may take their cell phone number whereever they want they have to purchase new equipment. As Cingulars policy is not to unlock the phone. Where's the freedom in changing companys or using the phone overseas. It's not even financially sound to buy new equipment if you already have it, & where the world class customer service. Their customer service sucks.

I think taking issues about Cingular to the media is a much better way of handling things especially since it will descredit the company reputation, and make them think twice when making thier policies.

T Mobile is ok, Verizon also is very good.

10. toranks

toranks Member

I don't know what you guys are talking about. what cell phone company willingly unlocks their phone? none. other wise their wouldnt be all these cell phone unlocking websties all over the net. I don't know about T-moble but Verizon sucks ass. I had them for a very short period and gladly paid the $175.00 to cancel the contract with them. the best $175.00 i ever spent. there signal is not as great as they claim also their unlited is limited. I picked up their unlimited text messaging package which i later found to be limited. After 250 messages they were charging me. Maybe you can explain to me how that is unlimited. Since you claim verizon is good. I'll be waiting for a response which i don't expect to receive.

11. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

am afraid that there is no unlock for this, but am working on it, and when i have it, it will be on this forum ;-)

12. JochenS

JochenS Member

I paid $20 to www.unlockmyphonenow.com as toranks suggested. Now they send me a unlock code but it DIDN'T work. The email says I'm supposed to send my phone in, if the code doesn't work. However, I'm afraid this could me a scam??

13. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

will u send me the email, wanna have a look

14. JochenS

JochenS Member

sure. PM me your email address.

15. sysalias

sysalias Member

I paid $20 to unlockmyphonenow also! and guess what, the subsidy code did NOT work on my V300.

WTF? do they ever work? I called them first and was told that 95% of the time it works. want to pm me the subsidy code given. maybe he always just sends out the same one? *shrug*

16. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

so was the subsidy code same or different???!!

17. JochenS

JochenS Member

The code I got is xxxx4122

I doubt he always sends the same code. But he could just make up some different number every time.
    I asked for a refund since I didn't want to send my phone in. He told me he could only refund half ($10) because he uses some system to get the codes which he had to pay no matter if the code works or not.

18. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

thats bullsh*t !!!

19. truoss

truoss Member

I just paid the $20 to unlockmyphonenow, and the subsidy code did not work. Has anyone sent in their phone and received it back, unlocked? I am worried since it seems there are many people who have received bad codes from this guy.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  20. sysalias

sysalias Member

codes are definatly different. I'm curious though. has anyone actually succesfully unlocked their phone through this

David Baker with a "Ph.D."

he seems like a goof. I think I will file a dispute with paypal.