1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unmodifiable WII?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by trock, Jan 7, 2008.

1. trock

trock Member

Are there Wii's out there that can't be modified? I had a Wii-key installed by a pro and still couldn't get backed up games to work. Upon further investigation I noticed that three legs are clipped off the IC. Is Nintendo getting smart? Is there a work around for this condition?

Thanks,

Tony

2. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

the wii's with the legs cut are still moddable. If you had your wiikey installed by a pro then I would have expected that "pro" to run some test backups to make sure that they work before handing it back over to you. Sounds to me like this "pro" didn't know what he was doing.

3. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

define not working

do they show up in the wii disc menu then stop working or..........???

could be the brand of dvd u r using

4. trock

trock Member

By "pro" I mean a professional solderer. He's worked in the electronics industry for 20 years and can solder like no other. He has no experience with game consoles. He's the one that ohmed out the traces and discovered the missing legs.

By "not working" I mean none of the backed-up games can be read. I get a "disk read error" every time. I've successfully backed up several games (and some not successfully) so I'm pretty sure their good back ups. I've tried several different media, but found the Verbatims to work with the best success rate.

The legs on the IC are cut so close and the pitch is so small I can't imagine how to get around the issue.

5. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

The cut legs wii's can still be modded. Many, many have done it using a dremmel to expose the traces. Do a quick search on these forums and you'll find guides and all the help you need. I wouldn't have trusted my wii with someone who has never done the mod before.