1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Strazza, May 8, 2007.

1. Strazza

Strazza Guest

OK, i left my computer on one night and when i woke up the next morning there was a blue screen saying something along the lines of "operating system cannot be found". i restarted my computer but got myself yet another blue screen this time saying:

A problem has been detect and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
    UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
    if this is the first time you have seen this message restart your computer......

technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82F300E0.0xC0000006.0x00000000.0x0000000)

i can't get past this screen at all. I've tried starting it up in safe mode but that doesn't work. i did a bit of googling, but I'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to computers and i don't want to screw anything up (supposing the my computer isn't bricked already). So could someone please tell me how to fix this? or at least tell me if it's fixable at all.

oh, and I'm running windows XP home edition on an LG laptop.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007
  2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

The only way that you may be able to get past this is to put your recovery disc in and boot with that and try to see if it gives you a repair install option.

3. Strazza

Strazza Guest

i don't have a recovery disc. my computer came with XP already installed on it. is there any way i can burn my own or something?

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

If you bought the computer brand new it should come with some sorta system discs. The only other way is to get your hands on a copy of XP and boot from it.

5. Strazza

Strazza Guest

i just had a look through all my discs, and sure enough there was one called LG recovery disc. i put this in my computer and started it up, then got a screen saying "press any key to boot from CD". i did so, then my computer went to a blue screen and which said "setup is loading files". Finally it goes to a screen saying:

Windows xp home edition setup
    the following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.
    Use the up and down arrows to select an item in the list.
    *to set up windows xp on the selected item, press enter.
    *to create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
    *to delete the selected partition, press d.

underneath that there's a box with two options
    1. C: Partition1 [unknown] 57224 MB (57223 MB free)
    2. unpartitioned space 8 MB

thats as far as i have gone. there isn't any "repair" option, and from what i understand if i choose one of the options mentioned above, i can say goodbye to everything on my hard drive.

I'm sorry if i sound like an idiot. could be because i am, but i would appreciate any help

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

If these are the options then you may have to say bye to everything and start again.

Just to add the reason this is your best option is because you basically have a system problem that will not go away with a band aid soulotion soo you need to do something like a reinstall.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  7. Strazza

Strazza Guest

*sigh* that's not what i wanted to hear. anyway, thank you so much for all your help.

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Sorry mate i know its not wat you want to hear. I have had this issue b4 but caused by a virus and i had no choice soo u gotta cut your losses and start again.

9. jony218

jony218 Guest

If nothing else works for you give, give "paragon justboot corrector" demo (self boot CD) a try. I recommend it because it fixed my windows xp pro computer when I couldn't get it to boot ,but on my problem I would at least get up to the log-in screen where it would hang. To me it looks like a MBR (main boot record)problem, it's happened to me before when I was defragmenting my hard drive and the computer lost power, after that it wouldn't boot.

10. vashts121

vashts121 Member

MBR is master boot record (not main boot record). Do you know what file system your partition was?

11. Strazza

Strazza Guest

don't worry about it guys, i took my computer back to where i bought it from and they're going to fix it under warranty. with a bit of luck the person that's fixing it will know what he's doing and might be able to save my hard drive.
    thanks anyway everyone.

12. Rejected5

Rejected5 Member

All the message was was that your hard drive is dying, or your boot.ini file is damaged..., all you do is get a 2nd hard drive and install windows then modify the boot.ini file....