1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unpack rar files bigger than 4 GB

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by bouncerda, Apr 24, 2005.

1. bouncerda

bouncerda Guest

can anybody plz tell me how to unpack a movie over 4gb ! when i use winrar to unpack it , it says , disc is full !! only NTFS can surport files over 4 gb ! does anybody no how to do this !! plz plz plz

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

You have to be running Windows XP or 2000 and have your filesystem set to NTFS.
    You can run convert c: /fs:ntfs from a command prompt to convert it if you are running fat32 on XP. If you run 98 or ME there is no way to create a file > 4 gig

3. bouncerda

bouncerda Guest

hi Xian ! thanks 4 the info ! i am running windows xp ! but the problem im having is setting my filesystem to ntfs , i dont no were 2 start ! sorry 2 be a pain . thanks again !

4. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

Click on the Start Menu, then click Run, in this box type cmd
    Once the command prompt comes up (the black screen) type convert c: /fs:ntfs
    From memory it will want to restart the computer, once it has restarted it will begin the conversion.

CJC

5. bouncerda

bouncerda Guest

hi cjc ! i did wat u sad ! and it comes up ! (this will replace your last opperating system ! is it still safe 2 convert ! soori 2 b a pain ! we all have 2 learn ! lol thanks

6. CJC

CJC Regular member

I havnt had that come up before

**Legal Disclaimer** :)
    I do not take liablity for what im going to say below

Personally if it was my PC, i would just do a quick backup of files you 'cant live without' just in case, then try it.
    :)

Somebody else may have seen this error before and may be able to advise if it will do anything or not.

CJC

7. bouncerda

bouncerda Guest

nice 1 ! im not sure if this is any help ! but a have windows NT and xp pro on top of that ! the excact msg was ! this conversion will also remove your previous opperating system backup ! dose that that make more sence !! thanks again ! dave

8. CJC

CJC Regular member

ahhh

So are you still using Windows NT

Windows NT runs off Fat32, therefore if you ARE still using Windows NT, you cannot convert to NTFS otherwise you cant use it anymore.

If you ARNT using Windows NT, convert away :)

CJC

9. Xian

Xian Regular member

Actually Windows NT does use NTFS, but probably an earlier version. Not sure if it is backwards compatible with current versions since most of the time I have seen people dual boot has been between XP/2000 and 9x, not NT4. NT has used NTFS since version 3.1 a dozen years ago.

10. bouncerda

bouncerda Guest

cjc /xian ! thankyou very much for your help ! the conversion worked a treat ! wudnt av done it without ur help ! thanks again ! till next time ! bouncerda!