1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unpacking RAR files

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by acedking, Feb 20, 2007.

1. acedking

acedking Member

Hello, I am not a noob to start. I have about 65 files, I usually double click one of them, and extra the .iso file, and burn with DVD Decypter. However, I now have a folder with 65 files, the first three of which have the tradition winRAR icon (book stack) on a white page. The other 62 Are just blahblah.041 .042 .043 etc. My computer says it cannot read the files, and they dont open with winRAR. It says "either unknown format or damaged." THe files arent damaged, the game works. I started renaming all the files, with the exception of the first three (the ones with the icon) so: .r04, .r05 etc. It worked, and kept cahnging each icon from the unrecoknized computer app. icon to the traditional winRAR icon, but then this just stopped happeing at .r30

THe files still wont un rar...PLEASE HELP!

2. acedking

acedking Member

3. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

Face it, you are a noob. You can deny it but your post indicates otherwise! :D

Games are usually distributed in a number of RAR-archives (compressed files). This has been done to facilitate the actual download of the release. You only need to extract the first file in the sequence (usually named game.rar or game.r001/.001) and the rest of the files will be uncompressed automatically. When the files have been extracted (uncompressed), a CD/DVD image file will be produced which can then burn on to a disc.

To answer your question, rename the files back to their original filenames and extensions. You only need to extract the first file in the sequence ie. e-carbon.001. When these files are extracted (uncompressed), they 'come together' and produce a single image file.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  4. acedking

acedking Member

Even when I rename them, the icon stays the same ,is that normal?

Yea, I am a noob i guess.

5. hursty

hursty Active member

windows cant recognise more than 29 files with winrar,which is why you get the unknown file type icon at rar 30,its nothing to worry about
    any other errors you have,is due to a corrput set of rar's,maybe you havent got them all
    use the sfv file with a sfv file checker to see

6. steimy

steimy Active member

agree, just take the first file (the first one that says E-Carbon) and load it into Winrar and extract it. It should work. If not then the problem is most likely with the file you downloaded. You do not rename anything.