1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unplayable disc error!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by mufaa, Apr 12, 2007.

1. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

Just when i thought the dashboard looked crisper and sharper, the box flanked me this error!

The box gave me this error on the Lost Planet disc i had burnt on a Verbatim disc. I never had such problems with any of the disc before. After i had waited for an unusually long time i noticed the 'Unplayable disc' error displayed on the dashboard. My eyes widened and fear instilled in my heart.

I quickly took out the disc, had a look, put it in again and it worked! I played for 5 mins, switched over to Crackdown (Verbatim) and that too worked just fine.

This could be a one time thing but are these the symptoms of the end of the DVD drive or my Xbox 360? Is my console dying?

I hope not!

2. flowfast

flowfast Regular member

the 360 tends to scratch discs, and after repeted use you will get some disc errors. Just burn it again and it will work fine. Good thing yours is modded.

3. Memnock

Memnock Active member

"Unplayable disc" errors on once working back ups are often the early signse of a DVD Drive that's dying. If it is dying you'll start getting the errors more and more. Just see what happens. You'll probably just need to replace the laser if the errors get worse.

4. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

Thanks for the replies.

How one should go about replacing the laser? Damn MS for making such piece of shit hardware. I love my xbox too much to see it dying!! NOO!

I tried all of my backups and originals after the error happened. Some after giving the box an hr of rest or more. Everything worked fine. Hope nothing is wrong!

5. addflash

addflash Member

Samething is happening with me right now dude with all backups and with original i m getting error put this disc in xbox360.I m 90% sure that my drives lens is not working properly.Tommorow i m sending my console to microsoft,lets see what they can do for me?Are they gonna work with my drives lens or r they gonna change my dvd drive with new one.These questions are running in my brain :)

6. flowfast

flowfast Regular member

Does the drive make loud noises?

7. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

how much does it cost to replace a laser? is it e z?

8. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

Would like to know the same. Is there any guide and shit.

9. addflash

addflash Member

When i put the disc in drive then i m hearing some kinda click sound after that drive is trying to read the disc sometime i can hear dvd spining and sometime not,but most of time i get dirty disc error with back ups.

What i've read from net that if u want to change the lens then we have to desolder one point from dvd drive,which i m not sure where it is situated.Anyway lens price from ebay.co.uk is £13.00 with postage.

Here is tutorial for lens changing.
    http://www.360mods.net/News/article/sid=92.html

10. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Also if you can't handle changing the lens you could by a new drive, but that costs about least 3x more.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007