1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unplayable Disc

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Nubins, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Nubins

Nubins Member

Hi, First I'd like to apologise for probably asking something thats been asked 1000 times, but Ive searched similar threads and none have helped me.

Basically, I flashed my 0078fk about 8 months ago, it worked fine for months, then one day I was playing forza and it stopped reading discs.

The console works fine, boots up normally no red lights or anything, but now it will not read any discs, originals, backups or dvds. It just makes an odd buzzing noise before giving me the "unplayable disc" message.

I've heard that other people with this problem have had to replace their drive, I was just wondering if theres anything that I could do to make sure that the drive is bust, before investing in a new one.

Thanks

2. steimy

steimy Active member

The only thing you can try is a pot tweak (adjusting the laser), or possibly cleaning the laser. Other than that you will most likely have to replace the drive.

3. Nubins

Nubins Member

Yeah Ive tried the disc cleaners etc. no joy. I was gonna try and re-flash the drive, don't know if its worth it but I might as well try before I spend money on a new drive.

If I do get a new drive is there a preferable one to get?

4. steimy

steimy Active member

I would say either AaToshiba-Samsung drive or the new BenQ.
    But there is more to replacing a drive then just taking one out and putting a new one in, so make sure you do your research. There is one Hitachi drive for the 360 that requires quite a bit of work to replace it.

5. Nubins

Nubins Member

Yeah Ive read about it a little bit, I know you have to transfer the key over or something along those lines. Is there more to it than that?

Looks like its gonna be the samsung drive if I do get one.

Thanks for your help.