1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unreadable DVD created by CloneDVD

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Gswiss, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Gswiss

Gswiss Member

Using CloneDVD 2.4.5.4 with an active AnyDVD 4.0.4.1 under Windows XP, I duplicated a DVD film to a blank DVD+RW. The operation was concluded by an OK message from CloneDVD. The burner is a NEC 3500A.

When I tried to read the duplicated DVD using either WinDVD 4 or 5, I got a message asking me to load a disk in the DVD reader where the duplicated was located or I just hung.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Sometimes RW's can be harder to read.

Have you tried it in another software player?

What brand of media were you using?

Have you tried playing it in a standalone DVD player?

3. Gswiss

Gswiss Member

We used a 4x DVD+RW from RAMmedi@. We did not have a standalone player. But, it is probably the media which is the culprit. In the meantime, we got a Power Calibration error during the burning process. We'll try Ty, Maxell or Verbatim.

We were burning at 4x and maybe that is also too high for this burner. Apparently, burners which come out on the market do not live up to their performance claims, even far from it. One has to wait for new firmwares in order to adjust.

Would you recommend 2.16 or 2.17 from Dangerous Brothers?

The described situation is with a neighbour so that I will be reporting our findings this coming week-end.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It could definitely be your media. A good brand that is extremely dependable is Ritek G04 4x or G05 8x -R or the Ritek Ridata 4x +R for under .50 each at Meritline w/free shipping. (over 600 burns and only one bad disc) Make sure your media is branded.

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

Also, it is true that slower burns cause fewer errors. I never burn over 4x and with games at 1x. (However my Plextor came out at 8x and i haven't had to flash it, it works fine. So that's not necessarily true that burners have to be updated) :>)

5. Gswiss

Gswiss Member

We used a Sony DVD+RW which is on the medialist of NEC. Same results: Film successfully copied onto this DVD using CloneDVD and AnyDVD. When we tried to read it, WinDVD 5 would indicate there was no media in the reader.

We also carried out a successful data file burn using Nero 6.6.0.1. Then again, we could not read the data DVD.

There is no problem with CDs on this burner.

Firmware version is 2.16

6. andy248

andy248 Member

i have clone dvd and any dvd i have had it for a good few months now and i havent had a problem with it i have a sony dvd burner and i use nero show time or windows media 10 and they have all worked on my dvd player aswell

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Gswiss,

Is there any way you could play your disc on a Standalone DVD player compatible with +R and +RW media?

It would at least help pinpoint where the problem is.

Once we know that we can work on solving the problem.

BTW, good DVD players are really cheap nowadays. I just got the new Philips DVP 642 for 65.00 at WalMart and I've seen it for 60.00 on the net. It plays all formats including Divx and mpeg. It's bios can be upgraded from a CD downloaded off the net. It has some other really neat features that I use for testing software. You might want to give it a looksee :>)

8. Gswiss

Gswiss Member

I just purchased a standalone player and I will be taking it over to my friend's place to see whether the DVDs can be read on it.

I'll be coming back to you on Friday

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK....I'm leaving town for a couple of days but I'll get back to ya as quick as I can:>)

10. Gswiss

Gswiss Member

We did not pursue any further and decided to give the device back to the vendor. We're supposed to get the results of his tests some time this week. Will keep you posted.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmm...results of what tests?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  12. Gswiss

Gswiss Member

The technical guy in the shop was very doubtful when we told him we could not read DVDs from the burner we had burnt them on. He more or less considered us as morons because we should not expect IT contraptions to work when they were on the market. Typical IT brat whizkid. His attitude reminded me the joke about the behaviour of cars built by Microsoft.

I know a bit more of IT than my friend who bought the device. He's got a good point when he says the device is supposed to work when he buys, given that there are no software problems. The firmware to be added by the customer should only improve features, not get it to operate its basic features. Otherwise you don't put the hardware on the market.

Anyhow, we'll wait and see whether he can read DVDs from it and then we'll have a showdown with him.

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

His attitude reminded me the joke about the behaviour of cars built by Microsoft.

i haven't heard it?

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Must be an exclusive joke, I missed it to. I can almost imagine the implication though.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Gswiss

Try a different DVDRW media that seems the most likely culprit. It's also possible to record a non compliant DVD using Nero depending on the steps you use to burn.

Like Windows they're almost guaranteed to crash?

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, if that's not the answer it should be :>)

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Hmm... deja vu.

18. Gswiss

Gswiss Member

Topic closed. The whizkid brat gave us a brand new dvd burner on arrival. To save face, he claimed he did not have the time to carry out all his tests on ours. We were prepared to raise the roof with the sales people had he made trouble.

The new device worked beautifully. It was exactly the same model as the defective one, with 2.16 firmware.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

As for the joke on Microsoft, since it is slightly lengthy, please get in touch with me through zebujules@yahoo.fr and I'll forward it to you.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Gswiss

Thanks for the offer but you'll want to remove your email as soon as possible because not only is it against forum rules to post your email but you'll get spammed to death.

You could however copy and paste it in an instant message and I'd be happy to share it.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Timely info Sophocles. If you get the joke, pass it along.