1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsuccessful Mod

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by VBonez, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VBonez

VBonez Member

I tried to mod my first legless chip with the Wiijii. It worked for like 20 minutes perfectly then I took it to my friends house and only 2 backuped games would work on it (regular games worked fine), when other backups were put into it, it said "disc read error" (these games were tested on another WII and they do work). Tried to do some resoddering but now no games play and the disc on the screen and drive keeps spinning, the game never loads. Is the laser drive screwed or what ? and Ideas on how to salvage this situation?

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I would take out the Modchip and check and make sure there has been no soldering splash which has bridged any connections on the Drive board. Then assemble the Wii back together and make sure that the Wii will read original disc without the Modchip installed (Make sure you reconnect all cables correctly back to the DVD drive).

If the Wii works correctly then try installing the Modchip again (Make sure there is no soldering splash or bridged connections on the Modchip) or send it out to be modded by a professional.

If it doesn't work then you will more then likley need to send it to Nintendo to be repaired.

I also want to add that it was a mistake to try to redo the Modchip. If other backups worked fine then why on earth would you think the Modchip wasn't installed properly?

More then likley the problem that you actually did have was a media issue. Just because those backups worked on another Wii doesn't mean they will work on yours.

Wii systems can be very picky at what media it will accept. Each Wii system will react differently to different media. Media that works for 1 Wii doesn't necessarily mean it will work on another Wii. You just need to figure out what media works the best with your Wii system and stick with it.

Granted this doesn't help you out now since it has seemed you have botched the Wii drive.

Which brings me to the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  3. VBonez

VBonez Member

Thanks Larry

I did not know that different Wiis had specific preferences for specific media. I thought when a backup works on one modded Wii it will work on other modded Wiis.

What do you think we possibly did to botch the drive? heated up some pads way too much ? At one point, I think there was a bridged connected because the Wii would not even start up, we didnt have the option to press the 'A' button to get to the Wii main menu, it would stay at the safety preliminary black screen.
    We cleaned out the board trying to remove any remaining sodder and scraped the chip a little bit more to make sure nothing was touching. Now we can get to the title screen but the cd just keeps spinning... I dont know if this extra information helps at all... I know you can't just go out and find a new Wii drive but it is nice to learn about these humps moving forward, thanks for your input we really should've done some more trouble shooting before trying to resodder... let this be a lesson to anyone out there

Right now we have a perfect Wii MINUS the Wii Drive.. ughh...

4. VBonez

VBonez Member

UPDATE

well I got my hand on 3 more wii's, havent done any modding yet. Something really wierd is going on. The drive still doesnt work in the current Wii, when I put the so called broken drive into a new wii THE GAME LOADS UP PERFECTY FINE!

When I take the new drive (from the new wii) and put it into the old wii, it also works fine BUT when I put the so called broken drive back into the original wii IT DOESNT WORK! (disc does not load) what the heck is going on ??

New wii with old drive works, old wii with new drive works fine, old drive with old wii DOES NOT WORK... hmmmmm

any ideas are welcome