1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unsucessful start

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by pat247, Jan 17, 2004.

1. pat247

pat247 Member

i'm running windows xp on my system and the last time i started up i got "windows did not start sucessfully". i have installed the xp service patch, tried a non destructive and a destructive system recovery. i have also installed a full system recovery with 7 discs. all have been performed sucessfully but as i reboot the pc it still gives the "windosw did not start sucessfully", please any help is appreciated!

2. forkman

forkman Member

Did this message appear after you installed XP Service pack 1 by any chance?

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

Does any of the options work? I think you usually get to choose safe mode, last known good configuration, or others when you get that message. If it works in Safe Mode then it is more than likely a driver or hardware conflict.

4. pat247

pat247 Member

the service pack was installed after this message. and none of the options work either. the safe mode shows about 50 filesthat look like this:
    multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DRIVERS\_ _ _.sys but nothing else happens.

5. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

does it give you an error report that you can send to microsoft?

6. MissDig

MissDig Member

I have the same problem, unsucessful startup. Any solutions? The repair shop I called can do it by reinstalling, but I will lose everything. I dont want to lose anything unless I have to. I have a Gateway with Windows XP home.