1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure about my CPU

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Hildebrand, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Hildebrand

Hildebrand Newbie

Hi Afterdawn,

I'm buying a new laptop in the coming days for school.
    And i've seen some awesome laptops but then i saw laptops that i can even game on, i did not expect this.
    So going with the usual i3 i5 i7 stuff that i know from expierence this particular laptop has : AMD Phenom II N930 Quad-Core, 6GB DDR? and HD5650.

I know the HD5650 is good enough for me, i saw it blaze through a benchmark for FFXIV ARR
    (which is about the only game im playing next to lol,dota 2 and some psx ps2 stuff)

But i'm wondering how well does the Phenom II N930 fare?, i've seen some threads on the inet saying that multithreaded tasks are performed better then i3 i5 480m while singlethreaded its slower.

But how much slower? will i be generally safe with this CPU? or is it a big leap from the better cpu laptops but with crap intergrated gfx?

TLDR: How well does the AMD Phenom II n930 fare? will i be safe for the coming years with this cpu?, What are single threaded programs? will they be significantly slower compared to the intel cpu's? or am i safe here?

Thanks allot guys!

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Read here about your CPU: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-N930-Notebook-Processor.31536.0.html

Personally, I would not call it safe for the coming years. The clock speed (2GHz) is on the low side. Consider the requirements of the game(s) that interest you. I would look for more speed, something over 3.0 at least for a quad core. A 6 or 8 core would be better, but cost more. I prefer AMD for gaming over Intel but that is a personal choice.

Additionally, notebooks with Integrated Video cards are problematic for gaming. Some work, depending on the game(s) and some do not. A future game might run poorly or not at all. You need to check for the Supported Chip Set (of the video card) for the particular game in question. That can usually be found on the game maker site. You may need to change video cards in the future, that would be easy with a desk top, not so easy with a lap top.