1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual problem: Unable to copy entire DVD properly

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sunnyd36, Aug 10, 2004.

1. sunnyd36

sunnyd36 Member

Hi all. First off, to the admins, Thanks for creating this forum to allow us users to express our problems.
    I am a noob. I have attempted to copy DVD's 3 times of which 2 of them have been successful.
    Here is the situation:
    I have a DVD which I like to copy. In it, it contains 6 episodes. I have used DVD Decrypter(3.2.3.0) to rip the DVD into a specific folder in my PC. The hardrive space was ample (50GB free) and PC stats were satisfactory (Pentium 1.4Ghz, 1024MB RAM).
    After ripping, the files were placed in the appropriate folder having a size of around 9GB. My next quest was to use DVD2One (version 1.0.0) to encode the dvd. This is where i ran into something unusual.
    In Dvd2one, when I had to select the title with the longest play time, it showed 2 choices: 1 choice had 5 chapters with a length time of 43:11. And the other choice had 1 chapter with length time of 0:01.
    I completed this process and used Nero to copy it to the DVD-R. When i played it on my DVD it only copied the 1 episode.
    I am stuck here. DVD2One only reads 43minutes and not the full length version of the DVD. I attempted to use DVDDecrypter again, but received same results.
    Anyone know of a solution here? I appreciate any advice to this.
    Thanks

2. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Have you tried using DVD Shrink instead of DVD2One? If you still have the files from Decrypter on your hard drive, open Shrink, choose "open files" and browse to the folder. Shrink will go through its quick analysis (1-2 minutes), then show you how much compression is needed. You can choose whatever back-up options you want (e.g., quality settings -- see the Shrink guide in the "Guides" section for more info). Then Shrink will compress the files so they'll fit on a DVD-R disc and you can burn with Nero.

Just a suggestion -- if you use Shrink and it works, you'll know there's a glitch in how you're using DVD2One. Plus you'll have another option for backing up your DVDs.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Karen H.--Dell Optiplex GX240, P4 1.50ghz, 256mb RAM (yeah, I need more), Windows XP Pro w/SP1, 20gb c: drive, 128gb f: drive, 105gb j: drive, Sony DDU1621/C1 DVD-ROM to rip/encode, Sony DRX-530UL to burn[/small]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  3. sunnyd36

sunnyd36 Member

hi karen..
    thanks for the input. I will download Shrink right now and test it.
    I have used DVD2one before. It has worked 2 out of 3 times where this one time has given me this problem.
    Will post back displaying my results.
    Thank you

4. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

I've used Shrink literally hundreds of times with great results. It's a wonderful program, especially for movies that don't need too much compression (and especially for being free!). From what I understand, the new version (3.2, which you probably just downloaded) has even better quality settings than before.

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress!

5. sunnyd36

sunnyd36 Member

Hi Karen.
    I wanted to let you know that the copying was successful :) Thank you so much for your input and help. Very much appreciated :)

6. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Yay! Come back with any questions. I was a newbie myself only a few months ago but with what I've learned through these forums, I've backed up 100's of DVDs and old VHS tapes.