1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPC to Sky - too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by angel343, Aug 16, 2011.

1. angel343

angel343 Member

Hello, will try to make this point brief. Have been with UPC (Ireland) for years, tv and broadband (no phone available in my area, with eircom for that). Have main room recordable and 2 multiroom recordable boxes too (3 in total). The other day a sky sales girl called and offered us a cheaper package for tv. Same stations, HD recordable box in main room and originally 1 extra box (multiroom) for 99 euros incl installation. Great but what about extra room - which we use. She said she can get us an extra box to us - which she 'acquires'. She then went on to order us just one recordable box and she she will get us 3 other boxes which we will just have to ask the installer to install extra. I find this all very suspicious. She will get the boxes to us before installation date apparently. I am worried that the cards that come with the boxes she is getting won't work, also that the installer won't install the extra boxes as we are not down for multiroom. She was very convincing and in the end I don't want to go from a service which I am quite happy with to something that may not work. I am not trying to get something for nothing as I have been paying for all the boxes with UPC all along, she just was convinced that this was ok to do. Apologies for long post. Any views?

2. bobeey3k

bobeey3k Regular member

Hi angel343.

I considered changing from UPC to Sky for TV only and posted here in June but no-one replied....
    I too was offered a free 2nd box by the sales agent at no extra cost but could only watch what what ever was on the 1st box on the 2nd box.

In relation to multi room using UPC broadband, Sky advised that it should work but they don't support it.
    I then spoke to UPC sales who advised me that yes, Sky Multi room does work through their UPC VoIP line service.
    All you need is a splitter connected through the modem for the phone and the Sky Box and to be paying for the UPC line which is €6.00 per month for the basic sub.

I currently have UPC Broadband and their Value Digital pack but want to give Sky a go as they are offering me a great deal and let's face it... a hell of a lot more channels!

Hope this helps in some little way....

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. jken

jken Member

sure when the installer comes if he is not installing what she said then tell him where to go. also i dont understand if you have b/b from upc you should be able to get fone line . if you check it out you will see the b/b. tv stations and fone is cheaper than sky

4. angel343

angel343 Member

Thanks, I called UPC yesterday to see if there was an extra charge for just having broadband with them if I cancel the tv. They said there was (7.50pm extra) and then they checked again for me and told me I still can't get the phone in my area. They then offered to lower my tv price to match sky's to stop me from cancelling. I want to wait to see if the installer will install the extra boxes first before I cancel anything. If those extra boxes mean I can only watch what the first box has on then that's no use to me. Will wait and see. Cheers for the replies. :)

5. e45

e45 Regular member

Without a card for each box and it been activated by sky you will only get what is on the other box, and that is if you are even lucky you will prob get FTA, sky is not in the habit of giving away free boxes, and free subscriptions, thats for sure.

6. Bazsutto

Bazsutto Member

Another point to remember is that if you have no phone line, sky will not allow you to have more than 1 box.

7. angel343

angel343 Member

All good points. I have a phone line but I am going to cancel the order today. Like the previous poster said, sky don't give away free boxes, the sales girl was just after her commission. I am happy with UPC, would have liked Sky TV but will have to go down the normal route to get it in future - just like everyone else :) Thanks for all the opinions.