1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upcoming Sony Dual Layer writer

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Xpressor, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Xpressor

Xpressor Regular member

I saw in the paper last week or so the dual layer writer from sony soon to be released in june. supports dual layer,+&- r & rw,and also cdr/cdrw
    and packaged with nero. alot can change in 2 months but for new writer offering internal and external 2.0 usb would this be a writer to invest in or will its future replacements be better... i think $239-269 for internal a little more for ext.
    i figured the afterdawners would know more bout this than a csr would at a retail store thanx guys

2. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

Personally, I would wait.
    This sony dvd burner only burns dual layer discs which are +R/RW format. Wait untill the dual format/dual layer DVD burners come out.

Hope that Helps.

3. mook8515

mook8515 Member

How much will the dual layer +R Media cost? Yeah, I saw the recorder in a Fry's ad and it was $200.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I saw the same Fry's add for $200. The media has yet to become widely available and I've heard prices anywhere from $5 to $10 per disc.

I'm content waiting until the second generation of DL's are available, maybe by then the media will be half-assed affordable and the burn speeds will be 4X. I'm interested in how compatible the DL+R's will be in standalone players.

5. colw

colw Active member

I agree with the sentiments expressed above:

D/L media not available as yet and initially will be quite expensive - see news item at following link - looks as though Verbatim will be the first to hit the deck with d/l media.

Would wait for others to beta test before committing - do not expect any great advances and s/l may be the best option for some time. Compatibailty with stand alones may also be an issue.

Leave it to the brave, daring and uninitiated to test and report before committing to expensive coasters.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/5277.cfm