1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

update graphics card or video capture devise

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by mij, Aug 9, 2003.

1. mij

mij Member

Hi

I live in the uk and like a lot of people want to convert some of my old VHS tapes onto my PC and store on CDV (dont have DVD recorder yet).

My system is about 3 years old and my graphics card (ATI rage pro 128) doesnt have a video capture facility.

I am aware of the two common ways of copying VHS to PC and they are via either via your graphics card or a TVin/capture devise.

I only want to spend about £50ish and done expect professional results but which would be my best option and what are the pros and cons please of

1. Buying a new graphics card with video capture? (as my system is a bit old i dont know if putting in a more modern card would cause problems). I guess an advantage of the TV/video capture card would also be that you get the capture/edit/record software with it for 'free'.
    2. What are the pros/cons of a TV card or a normal video capture card (i wouldnt watch TV on it)...
    3. Video capture comes in USB and PCI. Which is the best?
    4. What would anyone suggest within my tight budget?
    5. My videos are obviously analogue, but do all these devices take digital video input as a friend has one and it would be good for the future.

I have tried looking at the manufacturers websites (pinnacle etc) but they just quote figures that dont mean a lot to me as a novice, and obviously dont compare the different approaches.

Thank you to anyone who can help and advise me or point me in the direction of a website with an idiots guide to this.....

Mij

KT133 motherboard (onboard sound)
    ATI rage pro 128
    256Mb RAM
    30Gb disk
    Athlon 700
    CD-RW

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Most of the cards that feature video in capabilities tend to be the higher end models and as such will probably be outside of your budget range. You might however be able to find a first generation radeon AIW for that prices but dont quote me on that)
    2. If you just want a cheap, simple, "decent" quality video capture device, I would reccommend you seek out a USB capture device. (You may be able to find a decent TV card for that price range too but I would reccomend away from Hauuppauge -- their products tend to be hit and miss as far as drivers go)._X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2003