1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPDATED VERSION OF DVD SHRINK????

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by buffster, Mar 30, 2005.

1. buffster

buffster Regular member

Is the version of dvd shrink 3.2....the one I have, the same as the 3.2.0.15? thanks.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Yes thats the last one, there will be no more, update.The creator of dvd shrink, is now working for nero.

3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Oh no, I was waiting for a new version myself!

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Thats why alot of people are turning to AnyDvd, so they can still use dvd shrink.As you know, there are alot of new encryptions out, and coming out,so dvd shrink's decrypting abilities have become obsolete.Dvd shrink's last update came out more than a year ago.
    later
    jD

5. RevDeBo

RevDeBo Guest

ok then how do I use ANY DVD? all it seems to do is show me the disc

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

AnyDvd runs in the background, and decrypts, and lets you use whatever app you want.

7. RevDeBo

RevDeBo Guest

Except for DVD Shrink. Everytime I try to use it to burn The Jackal it errors out after about 15 seconds

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well it should work with dvd shrink too.Maybe you have a dirty,scratched,or bad disc.

9. wild77

wild77 Guest

DVD Decrypter will do no need to buy AnyDVD

Nero Recode2 is a nice little program and even a little faster than Shrink.

You will need a ripper for Recode2 Decrypter or AnyDVD work well

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Note: AnyDVD still does better than DVDD. They're close, I'll give you that BUT for the $$$$ you cannot go wrong with AnyDVD :)

For the disc problem ~

1. This is a bit "wacky" BUT it has worked for some pple. Rebooting your PC (cleaning out all the memory) allows some discs to be seen better - As I said, it can't hurt and it's worth a try -

2. Begin by playing your DVD with your PC's player. Play the main feature for two or three minutes then open DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter or your weapon of choice. - As soon as you begin your rip turn off your player so it doesn't interfere with your analyzing. The playing beforehand is only so that your ripping program can "Find" your DVD.

3. The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program. You would be surprised how many times your disc is now "seen" and works like a "Bad Dog". :)

NOW, if all of these fail I would put it down to a bad disc OR Mfgr error and return the disc for a replacement one. It may even be a regional problem affecting an entire batch. Though rare it has happened and should be considered. If this is so, buying a disc from another area OR, probably easier, wait some little time and exchange it again trying for a different batch.

Cheers,

Pete

11. Trom

Trom Regular member

Just a heads up on AnyDVD. Although I agree its a great little app and does what it does very well it has caused me a lot of problems with my system in particular with my dvd burner. The problems relates to lock ups when trying to read a disk and only being able to use PIO transfer mode with my burner ect.I narrowed the problem down to the fact that I use nvidia IDE drivers, these drivers and AnyDVD just do not appear to function well together as is also the case with one or two other burning apps. So for me DVDDecrypter is the better option.

12. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Ive never had a problem with AnyDvd,it lets me use any app I choose.Dvd shrink, nero recode, clone dvd, intevideo dvd copy 3 etc.I have it start on reboots, so its on all the time,no conflicts whatsover, with my computer.

13. Trom

Trom Regular member

Apologies, methinks I was getting AnyDVD and Alcohol 120% mixed up. Had a few(beers) earlier on, its Friday night here. On recolection it was Alcohol that caused the aformentioned problems.

14. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Just a quick question... Why do I feel like I am missing something when I just use shrink and decrypter together. I have never had problems with it and the best part is that it is free!!!!!! Does anydvd or nero have anything better to offer? ---zen--->

15. franjo

franjo Member

I don't really know but I use both of those programs(dvdd and dvd shrink) and have had no problems with decrypting & shrinking, its the burning I'm having issues with

16. squizzle

squizzle Active member

AnyDVD runs in the background and is not required as a "step" in your process, whereas DVD Decrypter is. You also don't need to eat the extra 8 GB or so that ripping the movie will need, but that's not a prob for most. AnyDVD also gets updated quicker than DVD Decrypter.

Both are great proggys, but I prefer AnyDVD for decryption.

17. chemmixer

chemmixer Guest

Are there any versions of AnyDVD that are free, or if so are they even worth the trouble to download??

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@
    zenarrrow,

No Mate, you're not missing a thing really. The major difference is - you can use "Remake a DVD" (basically a re-author mode) and keep your menus too. the quality is about the same, Nero being a bit faster in the encoding field.

Many pple have Nero BUT never use Recode2 - It's a super app is all we're saying BUT they do want $$$$ for it after the first 30-days.

Cheers,

@chemmixer,

AnyDVD does cost BUT DVD43 is free. It works in the background like AnyDVD and makes all the discs region Free - It handles about 98% of the encryptions, DVDD handles about 98% and AnyDVD handles 100% of all the encrypted DVD's on the market.

DVD43
    http://dvd43.com/

Cheers,

Pete

19. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

My personal favorites are AnyDVD and Nero Recode2, (Remake a DVD,) movie only with menu's. Hardly any compression for the most part and very easy to do!

You'll notice that Nero Recode2 is almost like an updated DVD Shrink.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  20. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thats the project Mr. DVD Shrink took over when it was just Recode. He made the changes to Recode2. He came back and did a flurry of updates to Shrink until it arrived at its present form and apparently has an agreement with Nero to not do anymore updates. One of the final changes to Shrink was to enable burning with Nero. Maybe as newer forms of encryptions come along and Shrink is left in the dust, Nero may see some wisdom in allowing an update to Shrink. I doubt it though. Probably some legal issues. If rippers start to disappear though where does that leave Recode2 and Burning ROM? Home movies?