1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating drivers

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Peteman23, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Peteman23

Peteman23 Member

is there a free scan that i can run where it will tell me what drivers need updated and link me to the updates?

i have a compaq presario sr1403wm

2. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

Heh.. you could always run Automatic Updates from Microsoft (jokz... really joking)

But more seriously, updates can be bad too; I'd advise only worrying about updates if you're having a problem..and doing research on what an update is really purported to do.

Lately, at least a few "updates" provided by software and hardware companies have been designed basically to thrawt piracy. For example, Microsoft came out with Windows Media Player 11 a short while ago. It's main 'upgrade' is "increased DRM (Data Rights Management) support", which allows content providers using that encryption-based technology to add spy/adware as well as apply restrictions/controls (such as how many times you can enjoy a song/video file).

However, I generally encourage downloading updated device drivers directly from the manufacturer....like if you attach a webcam, scanner and or other peripheral device to your computer.

Otherwise, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

3. Peteman23

Peteman23 Member

i just got a few games and it says make sure your audio and video drivers are up to date like i just brought a golf game and it starts to load and then then screen goes black then it goes right back to the desktop

4. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

Okay (hello Peteman)

Yeah, that fits right with what I'm saying: if you have some games, you'd likely want to make sure your video card device drivers are up to date; also, make sure that your hardware meets (and better if it exceeds) the minimum system requirements for the game.

If by 'a golf game', you mean something like Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2004, then your system needs to at least have the following:

• Windows XP, 2000 oe Windows 98
    • 500 MHz Pentium III
    • 256MB or more of memory (RAM)
    • USB port
    • 8x or faster CD/DVD ROM drive
    • 1.3 GB or more of Hard Disk space
    • Video : 16 MB DirectX 9.0b compatible video card such as
    nVidia (TNT, TNT2, GeForce or better); ATI (Rage 128, Radeon or better); PowerVR (Kyro or Kyro II)
    • Sound: DirectX 9.0b compatible sound card

Looking at that last requirement, (DirectX), you can at least test your settings by going to Start Menu>Run... and typing in "dxdiag" (minus the quotations) and clicking "Okay". Hopefully, no problems there.

Finally (and I mean *no* offense), if your specs (I'm betting) do indeed exceed the system requirements and this is an "ar matey" game download you're trying to get to work, well.. you might need some things (a couple of utilities) I don't believe we can talk about here. Possibly, a more appropriate place to post this question would be the Gaming section.