1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

updating firmware

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BIGJJ, Dec 8, 2004.

1. BIGJJ

BIGJJ Member

Hello all,
    Just curious i went to update my firmware ..why i don't know everyone was doing it .My burner works fine on all the media i have used.I have used 8x media which burned fine but i don't know if it burned any faster or not.
    Anyway i went to update it and it said don't update unless you are specifically told to do so?? I went to the website and just checked if there was a newer version (a live update didn't pop up and tell me to do it or anything)I just don't want it to screw up my burner..it also said it could leave your drive unoppreable ..help
    thnaks in advance,
    BigJJ

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If everything is working fine thaen don't mess with it.
    You should be able to read from the drive manufaturers website what the new firmware is actually going to do if you use it ie.. make it burn faster, read certain media ect..

If it Aint broke don't try and fix it :-0

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

BIGJJ,

I don't mean to be smart or anything but do you know what you're doing OR are you sure it's firmware you're dealing with ?

Perhaps you're trying to update your PC's windows updates ? That's what it sounds like -

Here's a little bit about Firmware - Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to eliminate any "bugs" found in your drive and to "introduce" your burner to all the different kinds of media to your burner is likely to run into and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media is introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new firmware updates OR "Flash upgrades" come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date. It's good to keep your burner up-to-date as it "tweaks" your burner and keeps it operating at peak performance.

Of major Importance – When dealing firmware, you must match your burner's exact model with the proper Firmware. Trying to "Flash" your burner with something "Close" won't do it. It must be the exact firmware for your drive. ("Flashing" is what the installation is referred to when you put the firmware into your drive.) Trying to "Flash" your drive with some other drive's firmware can ruin your drive.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Always check your burner's Mfgr's "Support" section to see if some newer Firmware is there -

Firmware, You can't burn without it -

Now what exactly are youtrying to do - Tell me what this "Live Pop-up" web site is - and I'll attempt to figure out what you're doing -

Pete

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bbmayo,

A little "heads up" there my friend. As new media comes out and with that, as new "bugs" are found, "flash upgrades" are a good thing to maintain your drive in peak operating condition.

Pete

5. BIGJJ

BIGJJ Member

Hello Scuba Pete,
    Yeah this is firmware update i'm talking about,the reason i said pop up is because right before you get ready to update this firmware it has a several warnings....like only update if you are specifically told to do so(now i don't know what that means a pop like windows maybe)i don't know,i have a live update icon and i go to it and it says there is a new update but then it has all those warnigs...another one says something about it could make your drive inoperable.. just scared me i guess.
    thnaks for your help,
    Big jj

6. BIGJJ

BIGJJ Member

Hey Scuba here is the firmware from your website
    decice dvdrw ide1108 firmware version BO18 i coudn't find were to update it ? I didn't see anything matching it on that website.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

re-posted, just for you,