1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade gone horribly wrong - help needed please!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kingmarv, Feb 1, 2007.

1. kingmarv

kingmarv Member

Hi,

I am just coming to the end of upgrading my pc and something seems to be going horribly wrong that I can't seem to get past.

New components :

M/B: Asustek AM2 nForce 570 SLI ATX Audio Dual Lan DDR11
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 Socket AM2 2GHz 1MB 1000FSB
    HDDs: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB S300
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB S300

I seemd to have the BIOS setup correctly, although at the moment I have had to unplug my CD-ROM and 250gb HDD whilst trying to get it working.

I attempted to install XP on the newly formatted 80gb HDD and it got through to the stage of copying files, the windows logo came up, then it told me to reboot. On reboot it got the windows logo, then the dreade blue screen flashed up with the following message :

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again (it did, 3 times), follows these steps :

Check your computer for viruses. Remove and newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive configuration and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C7A63C, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, x00000000)"

I don't know how to run CHKDSK? And I'm wondering if its an issue with my 80gb HDD?

My BIOS is now setup to boot from my 80gb HDD as opposed to CD (XP) but I've left the XP CD as it hasn't finished installation.

Completely at a loss at what to try next. Can anyone help please?

Thanks, in advance
    Marv

2. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

check your ram maybe its faulty

3. steimy

steimy Active member

another thing you can try is to put in your windows CD, then restart the PC. It should display a small message to press any key to load from CD. Do that and load windows. You should have an option to fix your windows install at this point.

I have randomly seen that message myself, but what causes it i have no idea.

4. kingmarv

kingmarv Member

cheers for the advice gents

excuse my ignorance but how can i check if my ram is faulty?

I have tried changing the slot in which goes into and the PC never even booted up so i'm assuming it worked ok in the original slot.

Thanks

5. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

try the ram in a friends pc if it still work fine

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007