1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade or start fresh?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by shag9499, Sep 17, 2014.

1. shag9499

shag9499 Member

i have an hpg62 laptop that has had some issues naturally for an older unit. the latest bug was i believe weak cracker solder joints on either the gpu or cpu that needed reflowed. the unit wouldnt turn on very long without shutting down or the screen going blank. after some research and such i baked the motr board and so far for the past week it fires up and works flawlessly. there is a low battery warning that comes up when u first turn it on but that an easy enough fix i suppose. my question is if i wanted to upgrade this unit and make it faster for some video editing and such ( light duty at that maybe 24 hrs a month or less) what would recommend. it has the amd v120 2.2 ghz single core which isnt helping me be quick at editing no doubt. it has 3gb or ram ddr3 and an hp 1444 motherboard with a s1g4 socket. i have a early 2000s dell desktop that currently doesnt work as well so maybe that platform and structure is a better option to upgrade and rebuild? trying to get the best bang for my buck. how old does hardware (ie cpu, motherboard etc) have to be before its better to start new? im not afraid of the work im respectable working on things so thats not an issue (except soldering....but im sure with some practice id be decent). thanks for the help

2. aldan

aldan Active member

unfortunately this is just too old to do a cost effective upgrade on,notwithstanding the fact that laptops dont upgrade as easy (or at all) as a desktop.by the time you were done you still wouldnt have as good a machine as a $350 new laptop.its just time to let go.lol

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

concur with aldan only thing i'll add is research well before buying another laptop,check websites for what ram & graphics are lastest in last 2-3 years including dual/quad cpu's & the speeds,keep n mind what you want the laptop for & buy accordingly,you also don't need to buy new you can save a stack of money by getting ex lease etc,etc

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

but you might not get the warranty from ex-lease that you would get with a new laptop. what are you going to use the laptop for because if gaming then get a no-name tower which can be easily upgraded compared to a laptop.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

yeah that would be better get a tower & use a tablet for portability or not