1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Pioneer 106 Firmware?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by XtremeR6, Sep 7, 2004.

1. XtremeR6

XtremeR6 Member

Hey guys, this is my first post to the forum. Great looking site!

I bought a Pioneer 106 burner last summer and have yet to upgrade the firmware. I just recently bought some Memorex 8x -r media (haven't burnt one yet), but am contemplating wether, or not to upgrade to the latest firmware (1.08).

I've never had a single issue with this burner, except the odd time I'd get a light circled ring in the middle of some discs after being burnt. I solved the solution by decreasing the speed from 4x, to 2x.

I'd like to get the best performance out of this drive, so I leave the question with you experts :D

Thanks!

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi ZtremeR6, As the old saying goes, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But sometimes you can improve on the performance. If you rip with the 106D its probably locked at a 2x rip speed. A hacked firmware will allow it to rip up to about 12x. Quite a difference. Also newer firmware usually makes the drive more compatible with more media. If you don't rip with the burner and are having good results then I wouldn't mess with it. Here's a good site to read up on firmware.
    http://www.rpc1.com.
    Good luck.

Jerry

3. SparkeyNi

SparkeyNi Member

Check out some of the posts in the forum link below it may help you decide for yourself. Flashing a drive is something you have to decide for yourself as it can sometimes go wrong depending on the firmware.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewforum.php?f=2

4. XtremeR6

XtremeR6 Member

Thanks for the responses.

I rip quite a bit. I've maxed out at 4x :D

I guess i'll have to take a read.. Decisions... Decisions..

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

My Memorex dual format drive is actually a 106D. I flashed it with the hacked firmware from the site I listed. The improvement was 100%. I sure don't regret it one bit. Just be sure you read the instructions if not sure on how to do it. A flash done wrong will kill your drive.

Jerry