1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Question?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Shado36, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

I have a pc that started out as a Hp601 that has been modded. I think that I now need to upgrade my processor as my pc seems rather sluggish. My pc has a Glendale motherboard, whaat i would like to know is can I get a faster processor to fit this board. It has an intel 845gl @ present.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Your processor is a socket 478. I am not sure what speed your CPU is but I found a couple of processors at this site. Click Here

3. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Thanks, its a 2.7ghz processor if that helps.

4. touran22

touran22 Regular member

um is installing a processor hard? also if i open my PC will it void my garuntee?

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

The fourth one from the top on the list I gave you has one that is a Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz processor. It is not a bad price for the speed of the processor. I am actually wondering if your processor is a celeron. Sometimes changing the processor will not fix anything if there is a problem with your system. Maybe try a defrag, and make sure that your system is free of spyware.

6. touran22

touran22 Regular member

no its off topic but could u help me?

7. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Installing a processor is not hard. However, before you do it I would call your company that you have the contract through. I always build my machines or find one with a really good price.

8. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

I have looked at the page suggested and am a little puzzled. I have excluded all processors below 3ghz which leaves me with a choice of 4. The price seems to vary quite widely for some that seem to be virtually the same spec. What would be the 'best' option do u think?

9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Basically if you have a guarantee and something goes wrong they may not fix the problem for you. Like I said before, try cleaning your machine and running a defrag.

10. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Sorry Shado36-
    I got a little confused. Basically Bizrate is just a shopping search engine. You can try a couple of different places that you prefer to buy from and they might have what you are looking for. Get the faster processor and make sure that it is not a Celeron.

11. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Yup..............it is a celeron does that mean I have to replace it with another celeron? I keep my system pretty neat & tidy. I defrag on a regular basis (generally weekly @ least), I use Kaspersky Firewall/Anti Virus, Defender & CC Clean. Have run msconfig & unchecked what is not needed. It just seems 'sluggish' and very often takes a little time to react to what its being asked to do. Thats why I think it needs a new faster cpu, make sense?

12. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, the reason I say not to purchase a Celeron is because they do not have enough Cache. Basically a 2.7 Ghz Celeron processor is actually only running at 1.9 to 2.1 Ghz.

There are a few other things that can slow your machine down. For one, if you installed new programs they could be the culprit. Not enough memory could be the problem. Also if you have too many start up items that are not essential to running your PC they can slow your system down. However, since you are running a celeron I would change it.

Of course changing from a celeron to a standard pentium 4 is a decision for you to make. I will look and see if I can find any AMD processors. They are good as long as they are not Sempron.

13. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

I hardly have anything in my system tray at allonly Kaspersky & a safely remove hardware item (looks like a small square with a green arrow over it), I have 1.5 ghz of kingston ram and twin h/d. Will a non celeron processor fit ok then?

14. syxguns

syxguns Active member

As long as the pin configuration is for a 478 socket. It doesn't matter what processor you use.

When did your system start running slow? After the upgrade? Normally when your system seems sluggish it is because of interference of one form or another. You have plenty of RAM so that is not an issue. Did you check the startup programs? Go to Start-> All Programs -> Run. Type msconfig in the box. You will see a tab called Startup. Do not remove anything from the tab that you are not familiar with. Many of the programs must be running for your OS to work properly. Just look for entries that you do not need listed.

The reason I mention this is because I would hate for you to spend 100 bucks and not have your system performing any better.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  15. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

On my msconfig I have nerocheck,itype,ipoint,MSASCui,avp,ituneshelper,ctfmon,smssystemanalyser & all the rest are unchecked. The first 7 are HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/CurentVersion etc.The other 2 are HKCU/software/microsoft/etc. Does this make any sense?

16. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Did you upgrade your system? Obviousley someone has unchecked some items to help your system perform a little faster. They then instructed the OS not to give them notification of changes.

17. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

No, I have not upgraded my system. The only 'mods' that I have done of late is to put in more ram & a new video card plus Kaspersky..........

18. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Was your system running faster before you added the new RAM?

19. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Hmmmmm.... not sure I do not think so. Would it make a difference then?

20. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Adding RAM to a machine is just giving it more Random Access Memory. This enables the computer to run faster when a lot of processing is involved. The reason I was wondering was I wanted to make sure that the RAM you installed is working.

Basically, if you right click My Computer and select properties it will give you a description of your Processor and you memory. Check that and see if the memory you installed is being accessed. I am sure that it is, I was just trying to save you a little money.

I found one at this web site: Click here!