1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Question?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Shado36, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

So can anyone tell me if that new chipset will be ok or if I need to go for "plan B"?

2. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

I have been in contact with HP and they say that it will not be able to take the speed of the new cpu so I now have to buy a new board which really sucks, I did not want to have to do that!

3. syxguns

syxguns Active member

That surprises me that the motherboard won't handle the speed. If I were you I would return the processor that you just bought. If you are going to have to replace both the motherboard and processor then I would go ahead and spend the money for the fastest you can buy.

This however does give you the opportunity to just build a new machine from scratch. You see when you have to buy a new motherboard you will probably have to buy new RAM. Have you ever built a machine from scratch? It is not hard to do, however, the price may be a little higher than you wanted to spend. If you do it correct and buy a new case and PS then you will have your old machine to sell. Of course you will have to buy all of the components for the new machine.

The other option that you have is to stick with what you've got but to overclock the FSB. You should be able to make that machine run at 3 gigs. If you need some help in doing this I can suggest a few people that know overclocking and the procedures to follow. The trick is to do it slowly. Let me know what you wish to do and I can point you in the right direction.

4. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Well this is my first post using my new processor, I am now running a Pentium 4 3.4 ghz with 1.5 gig of ram. I bought a new motherboard which is from MSI and a real nice Cooler Master fan, so far working very well!

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Glad to hear it. You basically just built yourself a new machine!