1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgraded from 128 to 256 RAM and still no way to back up DVD

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Peterlips, Apr 9, 2005.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

Zen
    Make and model # of the PC in question is always helpful. A lot of older PCs like the 2100 series maxed out at 512MB of RAM. Also, many only had 2 memory module slots. So, 2 256MB RAM modules was all that was possible. That said, I'll give you an analogy that worked for me. Think of processing as eating an apple. The processor (CPU) determines how fast you can chew. RAM is the size of the bite you can take. So chewing at a given speed, the size of the bite determines how much more you can eat. What I'm saying is that with more RAM, you can process more data and the job will usually go faster.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2005
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if your computer has onboard video than you lost between 16-128meg of your 256meg. your motherboard probably uses sdram that has 2 notches in the socket & on the memory stick whereas ddr ram has 1 notch off center. if you got a 128 stick to get 256 than replace 1 or both with 256 or 512meg sticks. what is your cpu performance just before burning & are you doing something else on the computer while burning

3. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

Note: I did not see that he said what his OS is. Its probably XP but if its 98 or ME more ram (256 to 512) would be secondary to the need of MORE STORAGE SPACE. Sorry for yelling! Get that Hard drive that Brobear mentioned. And Tigerdirrect has a good rep.

Edit: O If your intimadated by opening the case to install HD get your neibors 13 year old to do it. It takes about 10 min

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  4. brobear

brobear Guest

ddp
    As we all know, transcoding or encoding is a very CPU intensive task. I have 1GB RAM and the usage still goes up to 100% when the transcoding/encoding is going on. As pointed out, or should have been pointed out, the RAM usage prior to encoding should be low. This is just rehashing things previously stated. With most of the old systems with a base at 128MB RAM, I doubt any onboard video on these systems would use anything near the 128MB or they would be maxed out all the time. The higher requirements came along as the video components became more advanced and the systems became higher capacity with more system resources. Looking at the link I provided would have shown for the older Dell 2100, the module was SDRAM, as most of the older PCs were.
    256 MB SDRAM, PC133, Non-Parity, Unbuffered
    Dell Part #: 843345-1, Manufacturer Part #: D48WJW

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

When using alcohol, my cpu runs at 20% max! I will still not multi-task though. Far too risky for my liking!

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

brobear,the fact he had 128meg ram to start with led me to believe he had sdram but never know as i've worked on some systems with 128meg ddr. his video was more likely 32meg out of the 128 he started with. so he needs more ram & more hd space at about $150Can. that will give him 512meg of ram & 80gig hd plus his old drive to do movies on

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Jetster
    You're right. Peterlips can't do anything if he can't get the files on the system. So, the HDD is of high importance. Tigerdirect is a reputable company (check them through BizRate and some others). The prices are good, so the WD drive I listed is the best for the bucks I've noticed. That 8MB buffer and 7200 rpm spindle speed is important. But with the low level the RAM is running on that 2100 (256MB), I'd change out at least one of those 128MB modules for a 256MB. Since the system is maxed at 512MB as I mentioned earlier, I'd replace both. We all know that transcoding can be done at lower RAM levels, but processes and programs have to be at a minimum for it to work. Most people doing this with success realize that 512MB should be the starting point for real world use without incurring problems recording video. On the newer systems, I know of a lot of people that have moved up to 1GB. Personally, I'm thinking of upping my system to 2GB. I have a 4GB max, but those 1GB RAM modules are still pretty expensive.

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I am looking to upgrade to 3 gig, as you say brobear, those gig sticks are still pricey! This what I fancy

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/GeIL_Value.html

I currently have 2 512 sticks of the same Geil RAM

Not sure whether to get 2gig of Geil, or a gig of corsair, kingston or samsung etc!! Any recommendations? 2gig does sound impressive though!

Pulsar

9. brobear

brobear Guest

ddp
    As I mentioned, ddr is on the later systems and the sd was on the older ones. All too true on seeing 128MB even with the ddr, seems the builders like to go minimum on systems they build to keep the prices down. If the buyer doesn't opt to up the capacity at the time of order, they will have to do so later or suffer.

The components I suggested were just good ones according to quality and my opinion of what I've seen and what's on the market. Other opinions vary I'm sure, including yours. Note the capacity of the WD HDD, spindle speed, and buffer at the price. Then the unit you suggested had a capacity about 1/3 less. If the OS isn't XP, then a card would be necessary for a drive over 137GB. The 2100 didn't come with XP, that would be an add on I'm suggesting. Also, my recommendations to Peterlips is system specific. The max on the system is 512MB SDRAM. (The system is not rated for more.) There are 2 memory slots. Obviously both are taken at this point with 128MB modules. The options are to replace one or both to further up the RAM capacity. Dell prices aren't far above the other market offerings for the older memory, so I suggested Dell memory modules specific to the 2100. I'd suggest both modules being replaced for best results. At $79.99 a module, about 2/3 of the upgrade cost is in memory, not the HDD. One module and the HDD would come to about the price you mentioned. I suggested both chips to do the job right the first time. When I ran into this situation (system getting older and inadequate for newer applications), I gave the PC to my son and bought a newer system.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Pulsar,
    Alcohol runs at 20% of capacity. What are you reading when your system is transcoding/encoding (shrinking) a DVD movie using DVD Shrink or something like DVDCopy3? I don't mean while ripping or burning, but the actual "shrinking" process.

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My bad, sorry. I use x-copy platinum, I have never checked CPU usage whilst compressing. I will have a play & let you know!

pulsar

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Pulsar
    On the matter of your expansion, I'd say 2 gigs is more than ample for most applications. 3 and 4 GB is still a bit of overkill. Just up the modules with the thought of adding more later if you're going to do so. The 512GB modules are more affordable than the 1GB. We can do the math, 4 1GBs for a max of 4GB RAM if you decide to max the system later. If you already have some 512s, that would entail changing those. 4 512MB modules for a total of 2GB RAM is the most affordable, especially since you already have some 512 modules on the board (but all slots are filled with this choice at 2GB of the 4GB possible). Me, I'm going with 4 512MB modules. The suggestion is in relation to most current boards having 4 RAM slots and a 4GB capacity.

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

It gives me an excuse to put my present memory into my second PC. Hence I can get some new RAM for my main PC! My M/B has enough slots for 3gig. this computer lark is a jolly good way of spending your money, isn't it! Just as well I am single!! And I want to outspec all of my mates. We can be rather competitive at times. I do a lot of gaming. Anything to up performance & make it run smooth.

Pulsar

14. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Bro bear I am sorry I have a dell 4550 xp os, I recently got on dells site they have a 512 memory card for my os. Why does my cpu usage spike when I look at it sorry if that is dumb. Also what is the PF usage? I've read your post in lay terms can I just add another stick (it only has two slots and now I only have 256 max) Will I have to (or Should I) do other upgrades i e hard ware upgrade or any thing else?

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Pulsar,
    I wasn't paying attention. You have the MSI mobo and AMD processor. Most of the current MSI boards have the 3 RAM slots, so the math is a bit different from the Intel boards. We were talking Dells and I didn't switch tracks. As we all should know, there are some differences between AMD and Intel. ;) By the way, some of the AMD boards only support up to 2GB, so check to make sure on your system before doing the upgrades.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Zen
    The 4550 has a max capacity of 1GB RAM with 2 module slots. It uses 128, 256, and 512MB modules. It takes 2 512MB modules to max the RAM on the system.

As a dell owner you should frequent their site more.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/replace.htm#1101964
    User Guide for the Dell 4550, it has a lot of your answers. Dell keeps a lot of info online for their equipment.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm#1103227
    Pay attention to memory and memory type in relation to system clock speeds.

You have 256MB RAM and want to up it. In answer to your question, it depends on what you have in the memory slots. You either have 2 128MB modules or 1 256Mb module. In one case you could add a module and the other you replace one. At current costs, I would just get 2 of the 512MB modules and max the system. You'll be glad you did. You should have at least 2 256 MB modules. In the real world, 512MB is a good starting point for doing video backups. I guess I should mention, Dell as well as other manufacturers suggest you match the memory modules.

17. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

@ Brobear Thanks for all the use ful information. I have only one stick of 256 with an empty slot so maybe I will start off with a 512 in it and see what that does. I watched my cpu usage it was at 100 while encoding. It's ones like you who I owe all my knowledge too, and maybe a little to this guy bbmayo.... BBmayo, one question for you where is your site for backing up a vcd to a dvd? Can I just use divx to dvd like lets say decrypter? Thanks

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Pulsar, getting back to your system. You asked for suggestions. As most manufacturers suggest keeping the memory modules matched, I'd just add another stick of the 512 Geil, like the ones you already have. Won't take you to 2GB, but 1.5GB should be more than enough unless you're just looking for bragging rights. ;)

19. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

What you have is fine but you need some more disk space to dump the files down since you are likely using a page file that is growing in size and leaving you left with no hard drive space. Go to Windows Temp direcotry (folder as its now called and delete the files) also delete your temporary Internet files to free up some space and then defragment. Also clean out your %usertemp% folder.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

BTFSB
    Who were you referring to? Pulsar appears to have ample drive space if you look at the info in his sig area. About 275GB if my math skills are any good. Zennarrow knows he is working with limited space, but wanted to know about the RAM. Thanks for the input, but most of what you're referring to falls under good housekeeping. Usually anyone copying files to the HDD knows to delete them when they get through burning. Even the largest hard drives will quickly run out of space doing DVDs at about 7 to 8GB per disc.