1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading a magic 3.0 2 a magic 3.1

Discussion in 'PS2' started by clueless1, Jun 21, 2003.

1. clueless1

clueless1 Member

as i have read in the forums the magic 3 doesnt work with the network adpater because it doesnt turn off.

I have a magic 3 installed by another person but i want to switch to a 3.1

I dont want to pay for an installtion fee again so i thought i would do it myself this time.

I was reading one post that implyed that it was very easy to switch from a MAGIC 3.0 to a MAGIC 3.1

is it easY??

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I have never done that.

However if the pins are soldered into the same place then it should not be TOO difficult as you will be able to de-solder the wires at the chip end - leaving the difficult soldering already done.

However as there are 22 wires with the 3.1 you may encounter problems re-connecting the wires in the correct orientation.

Better if you are experienced with soldering aswell - I know alot of people who haven't soldered before wreck their PS2's because of their lack of tecnique so bewarned....

I belive the easiest way would be to insert an external switch between the +5v line and +5v pin on the chip, this way it will disable the chip after it has initially booted....

Installation diagrams can be found at www.china-magic.com.

Hope this helps...

3. clueless1

clueless1 Member

Thanks!

I looked at the website but i couldnt find a guide on how to install that switch. I am a total newb at this.

ive searched google for a guide on installing a switch but i couldnt find one.

Does any1 have a guide to installing a switch on the magic 3 to disable it._X_X_X_X_X_[small]www.xeox.tk
    [/small]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2003
  4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Goto:
    www.chipzone.com/installation/playstation2/magic3/V3/page1.cfm

This displays the layout of the chip/motherboard.

De-solder the +5v wire from the chip (5v), attach that wire to one side of a switch.
    Attach another wire to the other side of the switch and re-attach it to the +5v of the chip.

The switch will now break the circuit of the 5v supply to the chip.

BTW you will have to lengthen the cables to bring the switch outside - probably have to drill a small hole in the chassis somewhere to mount it permanently.

I don't know where you could mount it - obviously away from the loader side....

I accept no responsibility if you screw up...
    (just thought I would add that)

5. clueless1

clueless1 Member

AWESOME!! this doesnt sound too hard

but what exactly is a switch & what kind do i need where do i get one?

i think im gonna drill a whole and mount it right next to the power switch..

If you could make a guide to do this ( i am a complete newb at this) with what i need that would be great.. What kind of wires do i need to extend it?

THANKS!!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]www.xeox.tk
    [/small]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2003
  6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Do not mean to sound insulting but if you do not know what a switch is I would strongly recommend you get some one conversant with PS2 modifications to do it for you...

I see you've offered some dollars for someone to do it.

I don't think the moderators will be very happy that you have done this, so I would edit that part out. (no offense)

I am from the UK - and I guess you are across the pond.

I am pretty sure there is a process out there already - but where I do not know.

I also believe someone will pop in and be able to advise you a bit more.

Have you ever taken a PS2 apart, if you haven't then you should know it is not straight forward and you could cause alot of DAMAGE - by tearing ribbon cables on the loader and front switch ribbon membrane.

You may not think it sounds TOO hard, but if you are new to anything like this, it could be quite a costly venture if you made a mistake...

I cannot really advise you any more - sorry but overall I think you would be better off getting someone else to do it....

7. clueless1

clueless1 Member

hmm, yes i have taken apart my ps2 and have gotten to the middle of it where the mod chip is installed.

I know ppl who are handy with a soldering iron.. i just need to know what exactly i need.

Thanks again for help

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well you need a switch:
    capable of switching - approx 30-40Ma at 5v

single pole/single throw - or spst type.

You could however use a double pole/double throw - or dpdt type.

But as you are only making or breaking one line an spst would suffice.

They will normally be described as toggle switches - on/off ones.
    (these switches are normally rated at 1A at 24vdc)

As for wire, generally any 22awg would do.

I hope I didn't sound insulting previously - it just worries me when inexperienced people dive into complex bits of kit (and expensive)

Obviously it is the best way to learn - but could be expensive.....

Hope you can get it sorted, let us know of the outcome.....Baaaaa!

9. clueless1

clueless1 Member

allright!

I have no idea what all that talk was about the switch but i did find this: http://www.mcicorp.com/switches/specs/ps174.htm

I hope this works as a switch and if it isnt please tell me.

Let me get this straight..

I am going to desolder the wire from the +5v pin
    of the chip and connect it to ONE end of the switch.. THEN i am going to take the other end of the switch and attach it back to the +5v pin of the CHIP. AND if i want to extend it out of the PS2 i will use the 22awg wire and connect it to each end of the switch and do as said above.

I hope that is accurate. is there a a special way to desolder a wire? do i just reheat the wire and detach it? AGAIN i am an idiot at this (i'm only 15 years old) and no you didnt offend me.

I will let you guys know how this turns out and will sure as hell make a guide for it.

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

That switch seems to be Ok.

However, it says it is panel mounting - maybe dimensions may make it difficult to mount to unit - cheap though so it is worth ordering.

Do not heat the wire up, just heat the joint for 1sec, the wire should just become unattached.

Yes, as you described that way the switch will (when it is on - supply 5v to the chip, and off disable the 5v - turning it off)